WineXpert Gave in to temptation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cindyjo

Reaction score
I just could not wait any longer. I just opened a bottle of my first batch-a Reisling and am pleased with the results. I bottled in Mid October and am planing on givng some away for Christmas so I had to do some Quality Assurance, Right?? Did not want to risk giving away something nasty tasting. Had much more flavor and depth than it did at bottling. There was a taste that I could not identify, my husband says that it tastes homemade and I am not use to something not mass produced. Will start the next batch after the hoidays-I am hoping Santa brings me some presents from Fine Vine Wines. Thanks for all your help

Still two weeks until Christmas, Quality Assurance Testing never ends. Hope there is some left for presents.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

Cindy QA is by far the most important aspect of wine making....

Homemade as in different-I think it will be good eventually. The second glass was better than the first
smiley2.gif

That is still a young wine. The odor is going to be off for a while and will need to develop. The taste will be coming around sooner though. It depends on your cellar conditions as well. If you leave them alone for a year or better, you will notice a world of difference. Whites come around quicker to. I will add one final comment that every Riesling I have every tried from brand to brand tasted different to an extent. Each seemed unique in their own way.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Could be residual K-meta. I remember that from my first batch, drunk young (the batch ,not me)

You can fix that by decanting or opening and leaving an hour before drinking. With a Reisling, that would be leaving it in the refrigerator or an ice bucket.
Edited by: peterCooper

Hey don't worry about the QA issue!! My friend bottled her Amarone two weeks ago and we had to do a QA two nights ago
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
. Let me tell you......it was soooo good, cannot wait until a year (although I know it will not make it past six months!!) Told my husband we better get started on one!!

Francie

I was wondering about the K-meta and it also tasted a lot better last night after being open for a couple of days. So far I am storing the wine in various wine racks in the living room and dinning room. I do want to move it downstairs to the cooler basement. Thanks for your input

Cindyjo, if your basement is in the mid 50's that would be the ideal place to age your wines. I wish I had a cooler spot in my basement although my wines are happy at 68 for fermenting and bulk aging. I plan on building a small cooler for long term bottle aging as soon as my honey do list gets down to a dull roar.

Pete

Back