Gaudet/Waldos Muscadine Port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Al
I have great anticipation of this one aging beautifully and gracefully. Muscadine wine really improves with age but I guess only time will tell with the Port style. This was my first effort at a port with Muscadine and I am so far well pleased with its outcome. My sincere thanks for the review.

Man I have one of these beauties and is now becoming harder to let age thanks to you Al!!!!!!!!!!!! Ill try my damnedest not to suck it down before its time!
smiley17.gif

In the midst of my winemaking endeavours this weekend I bottled my Muscadine Port. My son and a friend of his came by earlier this morning as I was putting the labels on and 6 bottles have already disappeared. It Is Finished !!!!

IMG_3728.jpg

Goodfella said:
WOW Waldo....

Those look incredible!!! The labels are sweet. Where did you do them?

Thanks Goodfella.. I did them on my printer here at home

What program did you use? Those are the coolest looking labels I have seen. The colors are great.

Great shots Waldo.

I guess I can start preparing to bottle mine in the near future. Its been a while since I last sampled it. I bet its gotten somewhat better. I also can bottle the side carlos muscadine I made at the same time. Did you put your port in all 750ml bottles or did you bottle some in the 375s like your sampler bottle I was lucky enough to receive?

Goodfella said:
What program did you use? Those are the coolest looking labels I have seen. The colors are great.

I used a ombination of Adobe and Print Shop 21Goodfella

OK....... Thats it, iff'en everyone one else is sipping on there's, Im a gonna too!

Gotta ask Waldo, Why did you use the light Malt in your recipe like we did with the Blackberry Port? And why not use a yeast that will ferment to 20%. I'm not looking at my notes but I think one of our batches went to 22% on it's own, then fortified to 30% with moonshine. That was the best one, will have to see what yeast I used. Muscadine Port sounds interesting................. I wonder how a Muscadine Port style Champagne would taste?

jobe05 said:
OK....... Thats it, iff'en everyone one else is sipping on there's, Im a gonna too!

Gotta ask Waldo, Why did you use the light Malt in your recipe like we did with the Blackberry Port? And why not use a yeast that will ferment to 20%. I'm not looking at my notes but I think one of our batches went to 22% on it's own, then fortified to 30% with moonshine. That was the best one, will have to see what yeast I used. Muscadine Port sounds interesting................. I wonder how a Muscadine Port style Champagne would taste?

Sip er nice and slow buddy....I did not use a malt on the Muscadine Port.

I guess I should have said "why DIDN"T you use" the Malt in the Muscadine like we did the Blackberry?

I no how those leaky corks are guys,why just yesterday I was filtering my ice wine and one of the pesky hoses can loose well i did all i could do not to loose a drop of the stuff so with out further ado i put the hose in my mouth and gave after a 1o or 15 second draw,just to be on the safe side mind you, the hose all was under control,,,,ha yes, what we won't do to safe guard or wine,,
smiley2.gif
this should of went up waldos berry /port topic..to much hose
smiley32.gif

jobe05 said:
I guess I should have said "why DIDN"T you use" the Malt in the Muscadine like we did the Blackberry?

Jobe I considered it and just felt that the malt would not enhance the Muscadine as it did the Currant and Blackberry. I have no scientific basis for this...just a gut feeling that i went with.

joeswine said:
I no how those leaky corks are guys,why just yesterday I was filtering my ice wine and one of the pesky hoses can loose well i did all i could do not to loose a drop of the stuff so with out further ado i put the hose in my mouth and gave after a 1o or 15 second draw,just to be on the safe side mind you, the hose all was under control,,,,ha yes, what we won't do to safe guard or wine,,
smiley2.gif
this should of went up waldos berry /port topic..to much hose
smiley32.gif

The sacrifices we domake for our wines !!! Sniffing those obnoxiou odors, tasting those yeasty musts
smiley4.gif

Stick 30 corks in em they are done today. It has mellowed out considerably since the last tasting. My buddy came by to help bottle and for his help earned a bottle of port. I read somewhere for it to be a true port it needs to age 10 years. HAH
smiley36.gif

Waldo, you and me podna need to each reserve 2 bottles and meet up at the next Winestock in 2010.

Boy you were busy today! This and the mulberry all nice and bottled and put to bed for a nice long rest. You deserve another glass.
VC

The leftover mulberry is gone.......
smiley19.gif

Time for the leftover port, but after pizza
smiley32.gif

gaudet said:
Stick 30 corks in em they are done today. It has mellowed out considerably since the last tasting. My buddy came by to help bottle and for his help earned a bottle of port. I read somewhere for it to be a true port it needs to age 10 years. HAH
smiley36.gif

Waldo, you and me podna need to each reserve 2 bottles and meet up at the next Winestock in 2010.

I have to agree with ya gaudet..Lets plan on it buddy

Just a couple quick questions Waldo....

Did you need to use any clarifiers?

I didn't even use bentonite

And how many times did you rack this port?

I racked 4 times in as many months, not counting bottling yesterday. I noted very little sediment on the bottom of the carboy yesterday. It looked gritty like the sand on the oak spirals.

I do plan to attend for Winestock 2010. See ya there buddy.

Back