Gaudet/Waldos Muscadine Port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waldo

Reaction score
Gaudet andI have been cussing and discussing this topic for a while now and thought i would go ahead and start a thread on it. I will start gathering all my goodies and hopefully be ready to get mine going by 2/27/09. Here is my proposed recipe and hopefully gaudet will be posting his here soon.

Waldo's Muscadine Port Style Wine

6 Gallon batch

30 lbs Muscadines ( Steam Juiced)

1 46 oz can Alexander Sun Country Gamay Beaujolais

4 oz. Dried Elderberries

2 lbs Raisins

Liquid from 3 lbs boiled ripe bananas ( Approx 1 qt)

3 tsp Pectic Enzyme

2 tsp Grape Tannin

6 tsp Yeast Nutrient

2 tsp Yeast Energizer

2 oz Bentonite

6 Campden Tablets

2 American White oak Spirals Medium Plus Toast .Will have one in wine during fermentation and add second spiral while bulk aging/clearing.

1 Pack Wyeast # 4767 Portwine Yeast
Sugar to bring starting SG to 1.110

Everclear to bring ABV to 20% - Amount used to be determined

I am planning onhaving enough residual sugar left after the yeast has finished all it can handle that I will not need to backsweeten this one very much to be where i want to be come bottling time.

Any thoughts/comments/ideas will be appreciated on this project

I'm thinking that we should add the nutrients/energizer in stages like a mead. Since we are trying to optimize the fermentation. I will have a recipe posted by this weekend. I will need to order from George some things I don't readily have but I like the oak infusion and think I will mimic you on that one.

May add a little more nutrientlater if needed but with my starting SG I want them yeasties to have plenty of energy to gobble all that good sugar

Not familiar with this yeast waldo, what are the specs for this strain.

Wade....from their web page

Mild toast and vanilla nose. Mild fruit profile with balanced depth and complexity. Very dry finish. Dry red and white wines, add brandy for classic ports. Also used for big red wines and high sugar musts.
Flocculation: Medium-low
Attenuation: NA
Temperature Range: 60-90°F, 16-32°C
Alcohol Tolerance: 14% ABV

Gaudet's Carlos Port Wine</font>

for a 6 Gallon batch</font>
</font></font>

31 lbs Carlos Muscadines (Steam Juiced)</font></font></font>

5 cans Welches Niagra Grape Concentrate
</font></font></font>

2 lbs Golden Raisins</font></font></font>

Liquid from 3 lbs boiled ripe bananas ( Approx 1 qt) Will have to consult master Waldo on this
</font></font></font>

3 tsp Pectic Enzyme</font></font></font>

2 tsp Grape Tannin</font></font></font>

6 tsp Yeast Nutrient</font></font></font>

2 tsp Yeast Energizer</font></font></font>

2 oz Bentonite</font></font></font>

6 Campden Tablets</font></font></font>

2 American
White oak Spirals Medium Plus Toast .Will have one in wine during
fermentation and add second spiral while bulk aging/clearing.</font></font></font>Sugar to bring starting SG to 1.110 -1.120

</font></font></font>
Will use either Lavlin </font></font></font>71B-1122 or Bourgovin. Weighing the options to ferment to dry or to leave residual sugar in there to begin with. </font></font></font>

Fortify with Everclear to bring ABV to 20% amount TBA

</font></font></font>

Looks like you guys will need an impartial judge once these batches are done. Seeing how I like you both, I offer my services. Just send me a bottle or two , each of ya, and Ill let you know how you did!
smiley1.gif

Will be honored too JW...Not gonna be charging me for doing a tasting are ya
smiley36.gif

Way i got it figured JW, this one should be ready to pop a cork sometime around July 4th, 2010

So basically waldo you will be finishing with an sg of around 1.003 or close to that, do you think that is sweet enough? I would think higher sg for a port.

Not a contest. More a learning exercise for me. Waldo has kindly offered to be my Obi Wan Kenobi. I've got a long way to go before I'd jump into a wine making contest with Waldo. But perhaps we can make it to Winestock 2010

I consider all you guys mentors &amp; role models, you better live up to the praise and not use the roids like A-Rod
smiley36.gif

GAUDET !!!! GGGAAAAAUUUUUDDDDEEEETTTTTTTTTTT !! Get back over here man...Dont be talking to them renegades..they just wanna suck up to you and then they will drink aLL YOUR WINE AND LEAVE YOU HIGH AND DRY
smiley36.gif

wade said:
So basically waldo you will be finishing with an sg of around 1.003 or close to that, do you think that is sweet enough? I would think higher sg for a port. [/QUOTE

Im pretty sure this one will require some back sweetning wade but I do intend to try to keep itto a minimum. Do you think a higher beginning SG would be benifical

What is our ending point (% ABV wise) for the yeast we want to use? I say run it to 12%-14%. From that point we would fortify another 6% - 8% and be done with it.

The Lavlin 71b I am contemplating runs up to 18% alcohol. The Bourgovin will get 14%. I rather doubt I can get it to run to 18% so being realistic I will probably use the Bourgovin.

I was thinking that shooting for a residual sweetness of 1.020-1.030 or anywhere in between should be fine. So I will sweeten the must to shoot .020-.030 above the yeast's predicted endpoint.

Don't worry Waldo, they won't get the stash that easily..... Unless I order some of those 1.5 ml bottles spoken of in another thread.

Waldo, Ive never used that yeast but that is very close to dry and it seems most yeasts go beyond what they state instead of less. Im guessing that youll be be sweetening a lot more then you think .What sweetness level are you shooting for when all is said and done?

Wade,

What was the final gravity on that chocolate raspberry port you made?

Back