Gaudet/Waldos Muscadine Port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wade said:
Waldo, Ive never used that yeast but that is very close to dry and it seems most yeasts go beyond what they state instead of less. Im guessing that youll be be sweetening a lot more then you think .What sweetness level are you shooting for when all is said and done?

I am going to be shooting for 1.020 wade. This yeast is good for 14% which I should reach with an SG of around 1.005 at which point I will stop fermentation with the addition of the everclear

I'm going to juice on Thursday, adjust the must Thursday night and pitch yeast on Friday. I will post a final recipe complete with all additions and parameters of TA, SG, and Temp

gaudet said:
I'm going to juice on Thursday, adjust the must Thursday night and pitch yeast on Friday. I will post a final recipe complete with all additions and parameters of TA, SG, and Temp

Oh crap gaudet...one important element for this Port I faild to put in my recipe.......CAMERA !!!
Be sure and add it to yours buddy

The wife will be happy to oblige. I was curious if I should too add the dried elderberries for color or flavor. I expect my wine would be along the color of white to straw or possibly golden.

The elderberries will add a dimension/complexity to the Port that I love

Should get my order from George Wed or Thursday. I'll have it by Friday for sure. Looking forward to making this one. Its going to be a double batch. I have 9 bags of fruit that weigh somewhere near 60 pounds. So after I finish juicing all of them, I will take some juice and make a regular muscadine wine with it, along side the port. I have two empty carboys and need to get them employed.

I also have three batches to bottle in the near future. The Orange Blossom Mead (6 gallons) I started in November, the Cranberry (6 gallons) I started in December, and the cranberry muscadine (5 gallons) I started in January. Guess I better get busy cleaning bottles............

You ready to rumble with this one Waldo? I was thinking about starting to juice tonight. But I will hold off until tomorrow.

Started at 7am and I have 10 quarts of juice already. I got two more runs of juice til I am spent on grapes. I have a grand total of 2.5 gallons of juice so far.

I would like to take a swig of that juice!
smiley17.gif

Steam Juicer in action. In all I got 4.5 gallons of muscadine juice. I split it to 2 batches. I used 3 gallons for the port and two gallons for the regular muscadine wine ( I added niagra juice concentrate to make it 5 gallons total).

3JuicerSetUp2.jpg
5MuscadinesintheJuicerwithSugar.jpg
8SteamJuicingEnd.jpg

To the 4.5 gallons of Muscadine grape juice I added 6 cans of 100% Welches Niagra. I chopped up 2 pounds of golden raisins for the port and added simple syrup to bring the SG up to 1.102 (which I'm sure will go higher tomorrow)
9Split3to2.jpg
10SimpleSyrup.jpg
11GoldenRaisins.jpg

By gawddddd gaudet...what you doing boy? You never told me you was going to use sweet taters and coffee in your recipe.Whats taht in them other packages? Dont be holding out on me buddy..iffen you got something figgred out I dont know about you need to be sharing with me buddy. Dont get mad just cause im better looking than you are
smiley36.gif

Looking good podner. Going to try and get mine juiced tomorrow but UPS screwed up my shipment on the Wyeast and dried elderberies. It was supposed to have delivered yesterday but they cant even find it now. It showed an exception in Nashville and nothing since.
smiley7.gif

Here are the final notes on this recipe. I got my yeast and oak in this afternoon at 4:00pm. Thanks Fed Ex. Pitched yeast at 5:30pm Ready to roll. I got a 1 day head start on you Waldo. I got enough sugar in there to get to 16% so I will have some residual, and plan to back sweeten some as you plan to.

Carlos Port 2-26-09
3 gallons Carlos Juice 4 cans 100% Welches Niagra Grape Juice
2 #’s Golden Raisins 3 tsp wine tannin
Water to 5 gallon mark ¼ tsp k-meta
2 tbs yeast nutrient 1 tbs yeast energizer
4 tbs acid blend 1 tbs pectic enzyme
4 oz dried elderberries 1 spiral American White Oak Medium plus toast broken in two
Also added Bentonite

Simple syrup to bring SG up to 1.102

2-27-09 TA .60 SG 1.114 Temp 80 F
2 packets Bourgovin RC212 10 grams (good to 14% ABV)

wade said:
I would like to take a swig of that juice!
smiley17.gif

I tasted the must and it was great. It didn't have the elderberries though when I taste tested.

If it peters out at 14% I think I will have a residual of 1.014 sg............. Possibly just perfect..........

Got home and smelled that familiar scent of fermentation
This bourgovin is a big fermenter. I stirred up the must and punched down the cap. And got this lovely pink fizzy.

Fermenting1.jpg

Oh Yeahhhhhhhhhh..thats what im talking about
smiley20.gif

Im still waiting on UPS to find my package so I have mine on hold fo right now

Latest posts

Back