Gaudet/Waldos Muscadine Port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Wyeast has taken off nicely, what a heavenly odor!!!

IMG_3173.jpg

Foaming has all but dissipated and she is still going strong
How's yours doing gaudet?

SG this evening is at 1.064 with a must temp of 74 degrees. Will probably be racking this to glass tomorrow evening

Still fermenting at 10 bpm on the airlock. Smells are good as well. The carlos batch as a side wine is at a stand still I'm letting it sit and going to rack it off the lees in a month. Maybe sooner.

The port is under glass and working nicely. I only used 1/2 of the spirals. I will use the other half once I stabilize it.

How long do we anticipate aging these puppies??

I transferred mine to glass last night and a tentative schedule I think reasonable would be that we can probably bottle this one sometime around Labor day

IMG_3174.jpg

IMG_3176.jpg

Worked on a label design for my Muscadine Port this morning. May come up with something different later but right now I like this one

muscadineportlabel.jpg

Very nice label Waldo.
smiley4.gif

I think my port has finally stopped fermenting. I'll finally have a day off after tomorrow. and I need to rack it and top it off. Looks like a nice deep purple color. Its got a good 1.5 inches of lees on the bottom. I'm very interested on how low the sg dropped since its fermented for so long.

Thanks all on the label
How low did your SG drop to gaudet? What does it taste like right now?
Where are the pictures of it?
smiley4.gif

Waldo, I really like your label. In your second picture above of your glass carboy your wine level was kind of low. I have a question. When I just racked mine to bulk age it that is about how low mine was. I added like kind of wine but it sure seemed like a lot. Is it OK to add that much like kind of wine or should I have done something else? It seems like if you add that much of a different wine it has to do something to the original wine in the carboy.

Waldo I haven't tested it yet. I plan to rack it this week off the lees and see whats happening since its been under glass 14 days and has a good amount of lees. I should probably stabilize and degass it as well, but we'll have to see. This puppy is only 3 weeks old.

Sadie said:
Waldo, I really like your label. In your second picture above of your glass carboy your wine level was kind of low. I have a question. When I just racked mine to bulk age it that is about how low mine was. I added like kind of wine but it sure seemed like a lot. Is it OK to add that much like kind of wine or should I have done something else? It seems like if you add that much of a different wine it has to do something to the original wine in the carboy.

The picture may be a bit deceptive sadie in that it is a 6.25 gallon carboy but to answer your question it is not uncommon to require as many as 3 750 ml bottles of a like kind of wine to top up with and that is fine. If one is not comfortable in adding that much then the marbles added as displacement works great too.
I calculate right now that when this one completes fermentation and I rack it I will need to add about 2 750 ml bottles of my Muscadine wine to top up with.

gaudet said:
Waldo I haven't tested it yet. I plan to rack it this week off the lees and see whats happening since its been under glass 14 days and has a good amount of lees. I should probably stabilize and degass it as well, but we'll have to see. This puppy is only 3 weeks old.

Mine has slowed down considerably and I anticipate it will be finished in another couple of days. I am thinking I may try making an F pack of sorts from a couple of bottles of my 2007 Muscadine. Wonder if anyone has ever tried this before?

Just checking the airlock I'm down to 2 bubbles a minute this morning. I have a lot of bottled wine to top this one off. I'm afraid of diluting the color though. Guess we'll see how much I have to top off soon.

I have a good 1-1/2" of lees on mine right now gaudet. I am thinking I may rack to a 5 gallon carboy when it gets ready, leaving enough space to degass, stabalize and fortify and rack the remainder to a gallon carboy doing the same with it except I know I will need to top off the gallon carboy with probably 1 to 1-1/2 bottles. That way I will have 5 gallons of the Port with nothing extra added.

Funny you should say that. I have a 5 gallon in use, but I think I'm going to bottle that one tomorrow. Doing it your way there makes great sense.

Ok Waldo I finally got er did....

I bottled up the 5 gallons of cranberry muscadine and freed up my 5 gallon carboy. I then racked the port from its 6 gallon carboy and placed it in the primary to get a good reading on my hydrometer. As you can see for yourself it fermented down to 0.998 I tasted it and wow was it dry and rocket fuel. SWMBO came home from an appointment and thought I had spilled booze everywhere from the smells.

RackingthePort1.jpg
Hydrometer2.jpg

RackingthePort2.jpg
Hydrometer1.jpg

I put it in the 5 gallon carboy and a 1/2 gallon bottle. I think we will be back sweetening to 1.030 on this baby to smooth it. I can't imagine what 4% more alcohol will do. I had about 5.5 gallons after racking. I stabilized it with k-meta and k-sorb for 6 gallons.

I added the last spiral of oak and I degassed with the vacuum pump for good measure. Now its banished to the wine closet for its magical clearing.
Downsizing.jpg

looking good buddy. what did you calculate your abv to be right now ?
are you using any kindof clearing agent to help it out.

Just the original bentonite. I figure that its going to clear on its own in the next two months. If not I will superkleer it.

As to the % ABV, I just calculated it to be 15.76%. So I guess I need to figure to make it 20% is 4.25% more alcohol. Not too bad.

Latest posts

Back