Gaudet/Waldos Muscadine Port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gaudet said:
IQwine said:
NASA might be interested in rocket fuel

Might have to incorporate that into the label
smiley4.gif

Please make sure to filter Throughly. Word on the street is that is same recipe the Democratic Republic of North Korea used. AND they didn't clarify/filter throughly resulting in a 3rd stage fuel pump failure.
smiley2.gif

Looking good gaudet. I will probably beracking mine again in about another week or so. I am going to try my hand at making a Muscadine F pack to add to at that time.
I would not recommen adding too much more elderberry to yours right now. It will overpower the Muscadine quickly. It needs to be that elusive flavor that sneaks in during the finish of a sip of the Port

I think it lacks a deep enough color..... I got 8 ounces on order from George yesterday. Will be in on Wed or Thur....... I wonder if I would have brought them to a simmer for an hour would it have the color I was looking to get.

Just bring them to a good rolling boil thenlet them simmer for about 20-30 minutes will suffice

Rain, Rain and more rain....I need some sunshine in my life...I just racked my Muscadine Port and had an experience never before seen..or at least by me. The oak spirals I had the wine were heavily coated with a gritty substance about the coarseness of fine sand. I am thinking it may have been the high concentrate of tartaric acids in the Muscadine. Has anyone else ever expeinced this? Had no ill effect on the wine that I could detect as it is coming along nicely.

IMG_3387.jpg

Waldo, my previous regular carlos muscadine wine had a sand like grit at the bottom. I just attributed it to wine diamonds as well. I think its time for me to rack mine off the oak as well. Guess I better get cracking..........

Racked it off the oak. Had a small glass to sip on. SWMBO thought it was fantastic. I thought it was a little harsh with the alcohol burn. But I think given enough time it will turn into something really good. I plan to leave it in the carboy for another 2-3 months and then bottle. Thanks Waldo for all the good advice with this one. I will post some pictures as time allows. Which will probably be tomorrow.

PS: there is a gritty sand like substance all over my oak spirals too. I will try to get a shot of it for you Waldo.

Here they are:

The left over oak and the grit left on the spiral
oakgrit.jpg
grit2.jpg

Another shot of the grit Looking darker than before
grit1.jpg
carlosport1.jpg

carlosport2.jpg
carlosport3.jpg

Previous shot of the port Weaker color
Thedarkness.jpg
Port13.jpg

Excllent photos gaudet. Just waiting now for someone to enlighten us as to what exactly this is. Anyone out there know?

May be Ison's would know. I seem to recall that being on the oak I used for my Cherry Muscadine, but I did not record anything in my log book.
VPC

I would say wine diamonds also, they probably just look different as they had something to build on better.

Those are certainly just wine diamonds. They can either form a solid "crust" or more defined crystals like those. Like Wade says, they just precipitated onto the spirals.

IMG_0126.jpg

Thanks Waldo.

Its a chilling out in the cool recesses of the fridge until Friday.

Reviews to come later today Waldo. I work until 3pm then I get to go home and do some yardwork. Cut and weed eat........ Then I will clean up and relax with your Noble Port.........

Looking forward to a relaxing weekend off doing nothing critical. Possibly starting another 6 gallon batch of something delicious.

Waldo,

Not knowing what a port is supposed to taste like I cannot compare your wonderful elixir to anything that I have ever had. I really like the flavors. I can taste the muscadines in there very strong. The alcohol is there for sure. I taste it mainly at the end. The vapors are very potent reminders not to drink this fast. I can taste a subtle hint of oak. I'm pretty sure I am tasting the elderberries as well, but I cannot say for sure.

You and I both need to reserve two bottles of this to taste at the 1 and 2 year mark, as I feel it will be a really smooth sipper. Kudos and thanks for guiding me in my efforts. I will reciprocate once I bottle my batch.

I have been staring at a bottle of '09 Muscadine Port from The Cat's Meow Winery for about a week now, just wondering to myself each time i looked at it when i would get to try it out. Most eveings I am a bit tired when i get home so i felt i needed a different type of evening to take this baby for a test drive.

Tonite was preceded by a day of some acomplishment in the vineyard that puts me briefly on schedule and i did not come home so tired....the missus prepared some steel-head trout w tomato sauce some cheese sort of parmagiana like and added some rice and beans....an all around good hearty meal....after two plates of that i knew the time was right to take this bottle to the hand and get that cork out....it popped w a gentle pop and i went to sniff the escaping aroma reaching out above the bottle neck...i had prepped myself for something many ports are....overpowering in the nose.....not this one...this one was very pleasant to the nose

Very pleasantly suprised i waswhen i first noted a refreshing gentle summer berry noteand thensoon following was a hint of the alcohol that you would expect in a port. Ok, i thought....to myself...we have a serious effort here!

I poured my first glass and noted the beautifulmedium cherry red color...it is a cigar room red...a brown leather couch red... the color alone is very appropriate for gentlemen to sit down with after a good meal to have a nice talk. I could look at that color all day long.

Is the taste just as good i wondered????

Up front this presents itslef as a seeminglylight taster because you note the gentle fruit forward taste...which is ppeeerrrrffffeeeeect in my view for an after dinner drink but it is not really light....there isalso a residual sweetness that you note only AFTER you appreciate that the fruity tastejust complemented your very good meal...the sweetness you detect is perfect for finishing a meal yet not a dessert sweet that often ruins what had been a good meal....many times a dessert can actually ruin what was a great meal by being too sweet.

If you have just had a great meal and you have several choices for drinks or dessert afterwards then i would rank this a top choice to cap off your evening. I cant say much better than that.

At then end you note the alcohol and that reminds you that you are drinking a serious beverage. It is time after noting that to once again look at the beautiful color and take another sniff of this wonderful beverage and soon you will be back at it taking another good sip.

The comment that I have saved for last is the most important one. This port is smooth, smooth, smooth. And that is huge to me...it melds three things together that cannot always be achieved. It blends on the palate a well placed fruit forward style, some sweetness that not enough drinks have and some heat.

I would very much consider this port your after dinner drink and dessert all in one.

It is a winner all around in my book.

Thank you Waldo.!

I am curious as to how this will age....ifeel very fortunate to drink it at its current age because it was a real pleasure to drink.... i think it will age very well also but i have no experience w a muscadine port prior to this...i can say this...this is a beverage i would spend money on.

Back