Gallon Jug Cork or plastic or No?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spacemaker

Junior
Reaction score
I have a quest about corks and caps. I'm making 3 gallons of a simple grape wine from frozen concentrate. The only bottles I have are gallon Manischewitz bottles. I do have a Portuguese floor corker, can I get a cork large enough for this bottle or can I use the plastic caps avail. Since this is my first batch, I'm hoping it will be ready for Sukkot in the fall.

I won't re-use the caps and not sure if they make corks for that size of a bottle.

Why don't you collect some 750ml or 1.5L wine bottles?

they make a plastic cap for the gallon jug.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/38mm-poly-seal-screw-caps-fits-most-1-2-and-1-gallon-jugs-bag-of-12.html.

however I would agree with Julie, make a trip to your local watering hole or olive garden and ask them if they have any 750 ml wine bottles you can have.
another source is to scope out those unmanned recycling centers. there seems to be one in every community around me, they have different containers for cardboard, paper and glass. just take a glance in the glass container.

I agree with the above posters. Presque Isle also sells those screw caps but why chance ruining a wine you slaved over for so long. Get some used wine bottles and cork them.

Keep in mind once opened it should be drunk in a few days or it will oxidize.
I also suggest to get 750ml or 1.5ltr bottles for that reason

I haven't seen regular corks that will fit a gallon jug. If they did make them, I think you'd have to get a special corker to take corks that large.

When I ran a Ferment on Premises, I had a customer who jug'd everything. He used metal or plastic screw caps. He had a few bottles that he would fill from the jugs. He used T-corks in those bottles.

It worked well for him.

Steve

Latest posts

Back