Gah! Bung fell into the carboy/wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greyday

Reaction score
So in my rush (not sure why I was rushing, racking a mead to secondary is hardly a "no oxygen" siituation), I grabbed too small a bung. As I was sliding it in it popped below the rim. I tried to fish it out, but it fell into the wine (a mead).

So three questions:
1) will the bung effect the flavor of the wine? It's at about 1.04-1.05 currently and very slowly fermenting (mead).
2) if it will, what should I do? I don't have another carboy of the right size, I suppose I can rack to multiple smaller carboys, but I don't want to if it's not necessary.
3) either way, how do I eventually get the bung out?

It's not a silicone plug, it's a standard drilled plug...

EDIT TO ADD: the bung was soaked in a starsan solution for like a day, I'm not worried about surface bacteria or anything.

So in my rush (not sure why I was rushing, racking a mead to secondary is hardly a "no oxygen" siituation), I grabbed too small a bung. As I was sliding it in it popped below the rim. I tried to fish it out, but it fell into the wine (a mead).

So three questions:
1) will the bung effect the flavor of the wine? It's at about 1.04-1.05 currently and very slowly fermenting (mead).
2) if it will, what should I do? I don't have another carboy of the right size, I suppose I can rack to multiple smaller carboys, but I don't want to if it's not necessary.
3) either way, how do I eventually get the bung out?

It's not a silicone plug, it's a standard drilled plug...

EDIT TO ADD: the bung was soaked in a starsan solution for like a day, I'm not worried about surface bacteria or anything.

The bung should be fine in there -

Look up youtube - how to get a cork out of a bottle using a plastic bag - it works great
!
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLMH0NrdfNE[/ame]

Last edited:
Thanks! It is the bochet, so I was afraid I'd done all that work for nothing, rather relieved.

I did that a while back - used a 6.5 bung instead of a 7 when I was degassing with a brake bleeder. Sucked the bung right into the carboy! I racked the wine off, just to be safe. Then fished the bung out.

Back