Breathable Carboy Bungs?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: the breakage of the glass carboys - that is awful!! Any idea how? One, I could understand: seven, is a mystery. Feel sorry for you Crush, Dizzy
To be fair, four of them were my fault for not having a greater appreciation for physics. I knew what I was doing by stacking the carboys was a gamble. No one’s fault but my own. The other three happened just about six weeks ago with a bad batch of purchased carboys. Of the six I recently purchased, three cracked and spilled the contents. Of the three remaining, two had cracks - I discovered after I transferred to other carboys. The other thing to consider is my opportunity score is rather high. I have 56 carboys full and aging right now. Why, you entertain? In short, to give away while enjoying the process of becoming a decent winemaker.

56 carboys!!!??? You, sir, need some variable capacity stainless steel tanks.
Jim, it’s been an interesting turn of events. My annual barrel rotation will hold 27 carboys. Because I always want to have enough aged over a year before I transfer to a barrel, I have two years worth aging. But, my wine journey has led me away from doing kits and now only frozen must and fresh grapes. Beginning with my current ferment, I’m transitioning to large capacity Speidel tanks, doing less smaller batches and making better wine, hopefully.

56 carboys!!!??? You, sir, need some variable capacity stainless steel tanks.
56 sounds like a lot. But crushday just thinking......”should be 63 goddammit!” 😁

If/when he gets arrested definitely will be the illegal toilet bowl hooch guy on the cell block

Back