Cork OK as Barrel Closure?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTea

Junior
Reaction score
I purchased one of the 20 liter Hungarian barrels from Morewinemaking.com and it came with a wooden bung but wanted to use a silicone stopper to ensure a good seal so I also purchased their solid and breathable silicone bungs for "small" barrels but both are far too large to fit in the hole.

I searched their site and couldn't find a small enough silicone bung to fit the barrel so I purchased a variety of tapered cork stoppers and used the largest one that would fit.

My concern is that I've never seen cork used as a barrel closure and was wondering if it's because possible spoilage organisms could hide out in the crevices of the cork and infiltrate the wine? But on the other hand wine bottles are sealed with cork for years without issue...

So does anyone have any insight on this? Or should I ditch the cork and try to find a proper size silicone stopper? I've attached some pics for reference if it helps.

Attachments

• 20210119_200139.jpg
    20210119_200139.jpg
    789.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 20210119_195938.jpg
    20210119_195938.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 12
I'd be afraid it would be get stuck and break when you tried to remove it. As the barrel sits, water is going to evaporate out through the wood and create a middle suction.

I'd be afraid it would be get stuck and break when you tried to remove it. As the barrel sits, water is going to evaporate out through the wood and create a middle suction.

I was thinking the same, but these corks are rock solid believe it or not, although I'm sure it'll soften with exposure to the wine.

I use the hard silicone / rubber stoppers that come with my barrels, fit tight, stay in place, never had an issue with them. I'd pick the silicone stopper over the cork if I had a choice.

I use the hard silicone / rubber stoppers that come with my barrels, fit tight, stay in place, never had an issue with them. I'd pick the silicone stopper over the cork if I had a choice.

Thanks John, I can't seem to find a silicone stopper that will fit this barrel on morewinemaking - any suggestions as to where I can find a suitable stopper? I guess it needs to be food grade?

Thanks John, I can't seem to find a silicone stopper that will fit this barrel on morewinemaking - any suggestions as to where I can find a suitable stopper? I guess it needs to be food grade?
You should be able to find the appropriately sized solid stopper at PI Wine, just measure your hole and get one that fits it, here is a link, I use the solids for my barrels:

https://www.piwine.com/bungs-and-stoppers.html

Food for thought. Make your own bung. Use s small disposable paper cup that fits bung hole and fill it with uncured silicone (RTV, or silicone caulking). It may take >3 months to cure. Alternately, if you find a cork bung, make a mold of it using Plaster of Paris. Coat the cork with plenty of petroleum jelly and insert it into a pot Plaster of Paris. After the plaster cures, remove the cork, clean mold as necessary and coat with jelly before filling with caulk. This something to try.

Food for thought. Make your own bung. Use s small disposable paper cup that fits bung hole and fill it with uncured silicone (RTV, or silicone caulking). It may take >3 months to cure. Alternately, if you find a cork bung, make a mold of it using Plaster of Paris. Coat the cork with plenty of petroleum jelly and insert it into a pot Plaster of Paris. After the plaster cures, remove the cork, clean mold as necessary and coat with jelly before filling with caulk. This something to try.

Awesomely creative - I just may do this. Thanks for the idea!

This is my concern as well. At times I've had to use serious muscle and wiggling to get the bung out of a barrel. I'd be very concerned about breakage with natural cork..

Latest posts

Back