Bung and airlock came off the carboy. Uh-oh.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyfire322

Reaction score
I've been bulk aging my Riesling in one of the brewer's bags (a little over six months), swapping out frozen water bottles to keep the temperature down. The downside to the bag is that once you zip it up, it's a pretty tight fit with the airlock on so you have to be a little careful.

Well, when I went to change out the bottles this morning, the bung was off of the carboy. So somewhere within a 24 hour period, it's been exposed. I was going to do a taste test later, but could this be the death knell of the wine? What are some things I should look for, or am I overreacting?

Without evidence of bugs or dirt in the container I would just chalk it up as a lesson learned and don't worry about it. Make a note in your log as to date and length of time and move on down the road.

Anecdote: A buddy and I visited his neighbor who was selling wine equipment, Found one carboy that was about 1/3 full. Seems the wine was "done" over a year ago and when he felt like some wine he'd tip the carboy and pour himself a glass. We tasted it and it was quite good. floored me I figured it would be vinegar.

Last edited:
Back