Fulchino Vineyard

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Rotavator:

Unlike the Rototiller, the self propelled Howard Rotavator is equipped with a gearbox and driven forward, or held back, by its wheels. The gearbox enables the forward speed to be adjusted while the rotational speed of the tines remains constant which enables the operator to easily regulate the extent to which soil is engaged. For a two-wheel tractor rotavator this greatly reduces the workload of the operator as compared to a rototiller. These rotavators are generally more heavy duty, come in higher power (4-18 horsepower or 3-13 kilowatts) with either petrol or diesel engines and can cover much more area per hour.

The trademarked word "Rotavator" is one of the longest single-word palindromes in the English language.

Mike kind of has it covered...except this Land Pride model is driven by PTO.....it has l shaped tines that rotate and can be set at the depth you need...i set mine at about 4inches...it weighs a ton and that allows the flap at the bacl end to smooth or grade the loosened top soil...the weeds are for the most part turned under....

cultivating was loosening up to a foot of soil...affecting some vine roots..and leaving the soil uneven

the machine is a God send for me

It sounds like it was a gift from the heavens Al!

Be sure to keep the cultivation shallow to prevent destoying the soil structure. Running it too often breaks down the structure and can lead to compacted hardened soil. I'm sure you know this Al, but I am mentioning it for others that don't farm.

I have seeded my alleys and am trying to get the grass growing to pull a bit of vigor out of the vines. That might help with your need to hedge so often, but necessitates mowing then instead- a trade off for sure. With the new JD lawn tractor I got with 54 inch cut it only takes an hour or so to mow the three acres.

appleman said:
It sounds like it was a gift from the heavens Al!

Be sure to keep the cultivation shallow to prevent destoying the soil structure. Running it too often breaks down the structure and can lead to compacted hardened soil. I'm sure you know this Al, but I am mentioning it for others that don't farm.

I have seeded my alleys and am trying to get the grass growing to pull a bit of vigor out of the vines. That might help with your need to hedge so often, but necessitates mowing then instead- a trade off for sure. With the new JD lawn tractor I got with 54 inch cut it only takes an hour or so to mow the three acres.

Ok I understand that it is a 3pth. So is a 3pth rototiller and a 3pth rotovater the same thing but different names?
Are you also spraying a vegetation killer first. I was just wondering if your busting up all of those weeds and roots if your not creating hundreds of smaller plants to start up again. just a thought. i guess you would just till it again.

not sure Dan what 3pth is....do you mean three point hitch?

the rotovator is used to just smooth roads...driveways...paths...that sort of thing..also horse paddock areas....whereas rototillers are more for deeper cultivation....anyone here correct me if i am wrong...its just my layman's answer....

i only use glyphosphate underneath the vines....and that has allowed that area of soil to remain stable...but trust me they get as many weeds growing as the area in between the rows where i DONT spray and only have cultivated......when i had my landscape business over time thru constant bed maintenance the weed problem eventually subsided...but after four yrs w the vineyard its showing no sign of let up....but i expected that since the land has been farmed for generations.....and plenty of weed seeds last many yrs

Al,

I'm in Indiana w/ lousy shipping laws. I'd really like to sample your Frontenac Gris & Marquette wines. Do you know of a way short of a travel to NH for me to try your wines???

Word on the street is these guys are available for hire!
smiley36.gif

20100623_102648_travel.SK.booze.jpg

Mike..how did you get my grandfathers picture?

Bonnie...our F Gris is sold out..it took four days...even the wine i left on friday of last week at our little supermarket is already gone.....and the second that you have requested, i have not released as of yet...although one version of about 70 gallons is getting real close to my liking....

how close to Ohio would you be? i can ship there via vinoshipper.com...all i have to do is get a few minutes and update my page there so that other wines are available...and now that spring rush is getting to be over i will have time to do things like this.....if Ohio works for you, let me know and that way we keep all things legal :) but much better for you would be a drive to NH so that you can get free wine tasting :)...

i wish i could take a better pic during night time.....but i just dont know how...tonites full moon over the winery was particularly beautiful

20100625_000450_FullMoonOverheW.jpg

Cool pic Al!

Next time, use a tripod, camera needs to be on manual, not automatic and then experiment with different shutter times, 1,2,3,5 seconds etc. It works best if you also use the automatic timer on the camera as that way you are not shaking the camera as you depress the shutter.

thanks Mike..i will see what tonite's sky has to offer and see what i can do..i really appreciate the tip

well...the beauty of the internet is that you show people a problem and people like Mike answer your call....not that these two pics are perfect....but because of his advice they are better than last evenings pictures of the moon and winery

20100625_222546_VineyardMoonJun.JPG

20100625_222648_WineryMoonJune2.JPG

smiley32.gif
Belissimo! I see a "Moonrise" something in the future of Fulchino Vineyards!

Nice work Al and of course our resident Photoshop expert Waldo!
smiley20.gif

no appreciable rain now for heading on a month and a half...the exact opposite for us at this time last yr when we measured the rain in double digits....98 degrees today......the vineyard was as usual
noticeably warmer...so at 4pm i placed a thermometer right down on the
dirt...the thermometer read 120 degrees...</span>

Latest posts

Back