Planting from nursury pots to the vineyard...need some guidance please

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kilohertz

Reaction score
Hello all,

You may remember me as the crazy person who transplanted 30 unwanted vines a few years ago, 6 survived and are doing well, I'll update that thread soon, but I now want to add to the vineyard.

I have purchased 10 plants which were all in 2 gallon pots, I moved them to 5 gallon pots last month as I wasn't sure when I would get them into the ground, they are all doing well with vigorous growth, one even has produced a cluster or 2.

I have read numerous publications about training and transplanting, but they all refer to spring planting dormant plants, and first year growth and training. To me, my plants look like they are probably 3rd year?? but still in pots.

My question is, how do I deal with these once they are in the ground? They have multiple shoots and lots of buds, it's mid-season here and daytime temps about 28-30C, nights 15-20C. The varieties are just a sampling for me to play with until I can find a good supplier of Z6 plants. These are Riesling, Chardonnay, Gewürztraminer, Merlot, Pinot Gris and Zinfandel, I know not the best selection but it's what I could find this year and will allow me to learn about growing, training etc. Would these be considered 3 year old plants, first year plants ?? Should I just plant them and let them do their thing until winter then give them their first pruning in the spring, or should I trim them now? I have read both can be effective.

Thank you for your guidance.

Cheers

IMG_7006.JPG

How many weeks of growing season do you have left til first frost?

If you have 12 to 14 weeks, plant them in the ground and let them grow. No pruning, just try to pick out the main trunk or trunks you want and get them trained up to your wire.

As to when to prune, I'd wait til winter and then prune.

If they canes are not lignified and barked, they are one year old... no matter what the plant looks like. Brown, hard canes are at least 2 years old.

How many weeks of growing season do you have left til first frost?

Thanks for the reply. It will be about 12 weeks before frost, tomatoes usually make it to late October without cover.

I'll get them in the ground this weekend. I have the posts and wires as well as drip irrigation ready to go in as well.

Cheers

For those of you in a similar situation, I made a very interesting discovery today when I went to plant these. In just less than 2 weeks, the plants I put into 5G pots, had already grown roots well into the soil and were up against the 5G pot walls. Amazing! how fast the roots grew in such a short time. I hope I didn't shock them too much with the final transplant.

Find out soon.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back