Fulchino Vineyard

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Isn't hedging fun?
smiley36.gif

I'm hoping my training trial goes the way it did last year with the training. The one system over the other resulted in a savings of 123 man hours per acre equivalent last year, and most of it was simple canopy management. The VSP, which Scott Henry is a variation of took a LOT of hedging several times during the season. The shoots on the 4 arm kniffen never grew more than 3-4 feet long and never required hedging.

Wade?????? did you see that hedger on that tractor pic i posted? and what about all the beautiful pics of vineyards around the world?

I just went back and looked for that pic, Ooops!!! I freakin know nothing about growing grapes and thought at this point not much trimming would be needed but I guess you have to do this for the plants to focus their attention on the grapes?

its to keep air flow in where it counts...and also sunlight.....by hedging you reduce places for fungus to get a head start on you...last yr i hedged three times...this yr it may be 3-four since the vines seem to be a couple of weeks ahead of last yr...if it gets 90 degrees plus then the vines slow to a crawl ...also late aug they slow down....so i figure to hedge again in 3 weeks ( first week in july...late july and probably mid august for sure

Cool, thanks for the knowledge as even though I dont have grapes I hope to someday and still love to know so maybe someday I can help someone in this area but for know Ill let you and Rich and a few others do that part!
smiley2.gif

and i am learning about currants from you on your page..i got some from a friend ( dont know if he wants me to say his name :) ) so i am trying my hand at them and watching your topic

Rich...more winter pruning w your non hedge strategy?????

Al Fulchino said:
and i am learning about currants from you on your page..i got some from a friend ( dont know if he wants me to say his name :) ) so i am trying my hand at them and watching your topic

Rich...more winter pruning w your non hedge strategy?????

Actually Al, it is easier to prune them than the VSP or I expect the Scott Henry. With those systems yes you just cut the spurs to length so that is easy, but then you need to pull the canes out of the catch wires. With the 4 arm-kniffen, you cut your spurs to length and the canes drop on the ground pretty much, because they aren't restrained by the catch wires. I know it sounds too good to be true- and may be, but I am giving it a good test for a few years before I actually consider recommending it over any other system.

Al, I heard your currants were more like seedlings than Wade's bushes so it will take an extra year or so to catch up to his. Are they growing alright in the containers?

Hi Rich...yes ( and thank you..i have some peach wine ..have not forgotten)...i put them in containers ( one gallon ) and kept at the greenhouse outsid, so they got fert at every watering....i should be getting them planted this weekend

Dan......maybe....since i have never eaten a currant let alone made wine out of it, i have some learnin' ta do

Mike....shhhh...modest guy i really am hahahah....i have a frontenac gris that i will apply labels to today....five page wait list on it........yikes....who knew!!!!

oh my gooooodness....God invented the Rotovator!...my new best friend is this machine...what a lifesaver ....a friend *GAVE* it to me...used it today for the first time...no more using the cultivator....

second pic shows its handiwork...third pic is my newest white...a kick butt summer wine.....five page wait list...

20100616_192717_2010Rotovator.JPG

20100616_193047_2010JuneCultiva.JPG

It is hard to imagine two wines being so different being basically the same grape. Frontenac and Frontenac Gris are basically identical except the Gris is missing certain compounds in it's skin. How would you describe yours Al? Mine are generally a bit more fruit and a bit of spiciness.

That is a nice label you made for it. Great job.

hi Rich...here is what we wrote on the back label....

"The bronze skin of our Frontenac Gris grapes is a vital component that lends color to the juice, resulting in a wine with rich amber color, The wine presents aromas of coconut, pineapple, peach and apricot with hints of enticing citrus and tropical fruit. A brilliant balance of fruit and acidity creates a delightful refreshing wine. Frontenac Gris, an excellent choice for seafood, chicken and lighter dinner fare."

i dont know if its luck or what..but i got a nice buttery smooth mouthfeel on this one

If it was just luck you would have run out loooonnggg ago! I'm starting to think you might just know what your doing! Grapes in your DNA or something....
smiley36.gif

Nice job all the way around Al.
smiley32.gif

Al Fulchino said:
oh my gooooodness....God invented the Rotovator!...my new best friend is this machine...what a lifesaver ....a friend *GAVE* it to me...used it today for the first time...no more using the cultivator....

second pic shows its handiwork...third pic is my newest white...a kick butt summer wine.....five page wait list...

20100616_192717_2010Rotovator.JPG

20100616_193047_2010JuneCultiva.JPG

Al what is the differance between a rototiller and a rotovator?

Latest posts

Back