Fruit wine sales laws

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jagreek

Reaction score
I was curious if there was anyone that has some more information or has sold their own fruit wines before. Very small production (about 50cs) and I want to legally sell to friends, family etc. I live in Sonoma County so if anyone knows any local laws that would be helpful before I go in to talk to them myself.

For the most part selling your wine without a license is against the law, so you would need to get licensed. Not sure how hard that is in your area.

I cant make enough to even keep for me, but I have more friends now, just like Seth said i would......

Yea exactly, I am well aware that its illegal to sell wine without being licensed, I am asking what kind of licenses are needed to be legal.

Last edited:
Yea exactly, I am well aware that its illegal to sell wine without being licensed, I am asking what kind of licenses are needed to be legal.

I believe there is a thread started about what you need to do. If you do a search you will probably find it. I don't have time but tomorrow morning if you did not find it, I'll look and post the link

For the federal license you need to have a bonded wine production facility that is separated by walls and secured from any living space. Then you have to obtain your state licenses. Then you'll need to check with state and county health department to make sure they ok the winery for food production. If you are in a city municipality then you need to make sure your zoning allows for a business and your city will undoubtedly regulate alcohol sales. You may need a very expensive city liquor sales license. Probably not worthwhile if you are only making 50 cases. I'd just give it to your friends.

For the federal license you need to have a bonded wine production facility that is separated by walls and secured from any living space. Then you have to obtain your state licenses. Then you'll need to check with state and county health department to make sure they ok the winery for food production. If you are in a city municipality then you need to make sure your zoning allows for a business and your city will undoubtedly regulate alcohol sales. You may need a very expensive city liquor sales license. Probably not worthwhile if you are only making 50 cases. I'd just give it to your friends.

yep. It'll make them cases very expensive.

I am unclear what the specifics are for Calif. but in general it is a bit more straight forward to get the federal license. The state and/or county licenses are a bit more involved and pricey. For example, here in NC you need a separate license to make, another to sell, and yet another to serve. Somewhere around $1200 for all three.

You might want to start here: http://www.ttb.gov/wine/

My best advice is to put together a business plan. How much money do you have to put into this? How big of a production are you capable of producing? How does that translate into capital (equipment, building, etc.) that you need to meet that production? What is your cost/bottle? Will the final marketable price be sufficient for your goals? How much time and effort can you put into this venture? These are just some of the basic questions you need to answer before it makes sense to proceed.

have your friends supply you with fresh fruits and sugar no license needed for friends giving you fruit and sugar, what you do with it is totally up to you from there :i

oh yeah and see if they will save their empty bottles as well :D

Last edited:
we recently read you need a license to sell GRAPE wine . a couple went to court in Clute,texas to sell fruit wine without a licenses and won their case. the Law only said you need a license to sell Grape Wine. grape only.

I am sure that has been are will be changed by an ammentmant shortly....texas is not going to let you sale anything without a license...period.

Back