Fruit flies in airlocks...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sirthomas42

Reaction score
*edit* Nevermind, I'm stupid and need to learn to use the search function. I should have figured there'd be eleventy-thousand people before me with the same question. :)
---
I spilled some must in my fermentation room and got a bunch of fruit flies in there. Now, some of my airlocks (3-pc) have gotten dead fruit flies floating in them. All my airlocks all have cheap 80-proof vodka in them. It doesn't appear that any of the fruit flies got into the must. Are my wines in danger of contamination? I know fruit flies are bad news for wines :(

Last edited:
You'll be fine. Just keep air locks on everything. You may want to sit a uncapped wine bottle out with about 1/2 inch of wine in it. Add 2-3 drops of liquid dishwashing soap to it. Be very careful to insure the soap goes directly into the wine and does not hit the sides of the bottle (otherwise the fruit flies will detect it). This will attract, trap and kill a percentage of your fruit flies.

They would have to have very good concentration to swim through the Vodka into the wine! I imagine that they died virtually as soon as they hit the Vodka. Even if they got to the wine, there is really no danger. You will have a trace of protein in your wine, however! :)

Back