Frozen White grape concentrate

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loren

Reaction score
None of our stores down here carry Welchs frozen white grape concentrate. Someone said that Welchs is Niagra grapes. My question is, is Old Orchard frozen white grape also Niagra? There website does not say. And would the wine then be called Niagra? Thanks, Loren

welch's white grape is niagara, it says on the can. not sure about old orchard's but make an gallon of it and see how it comes out, if it is good make a bigger batch. use 3 cans per gallon

Welches makes 2 kinds
Concord = red
Niagara = white
Just make sure its 100% juice concentrate. If its a "cocktail" do not use. Those are maybe 10-15% juice
Florida must have some in every grocery store.

Last edited:
None of our stores down here carry Welchs frozen white grape concentrate. Someone said that Welchs is Niagra grapes. My question is, is Old Orchard frozen white grape also Niagra? There website does not say. And would the wine then be called Niagra? Thanks, Loren

I've been curious about this as well. I just went to the Old Orchard web site and submitted the question to them. I'll post the response here.

As far as what you would call it goes, you can call it anything you want!

I use the niagra concentrate as a base for several wines. For example, I use it as a base for "second run" elderberry to make a blush wine. I've also used it for jalapeno, mixed berries and a couple of others.

I've been thinking about doing a 100% niagra for blending and topping lighter wines.

Last edited:
Can you point me too or share your recipe for the Welches jalapeño wine? That sounds very interesting...

Andrew

Can you point me too or share your recipe for the Welches jalapeño wine? That sounds very interesting...

Andrew

1 Gallon

12 or so 2" jalapenos
3 cans niagra concentrate
acid blend to .6
sugar to 1090
water to 1g
ec1118

chopped jalapenos and placed in mesh bag
removed bag around day 3 or 4 of active ferment

otherwise, standard steps!

Too hot to drink a glass, but EXCELLENT to cook with.

I have used the Old Orchard brand many times and had great success.

You can use less Jalapenos to make it drinkable too.

:u I got a reply from a gentleman identifying himself as the VP of Marketing. He says "Niagra"

No problem. I've been wanting to try the OO brand, so now I will!

I had a gallon of OO frozen white grape concentate aging right now. I also made a gallon with Welches, and that came out Great.

Appreciate the info Bob, gonna start a gallon next week. Loren

Latest posts

Back