Where to get small amount of Viognier grapes sent to Milwaukee area

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cap Puncher

Reaction score
Our wine club is buying Syrah this year. I am grabbing 600 lb. I really want to try co-fermenting Viognier with Syrah this year. Does anyone know where to get 1 lug (36lb) of fresh viognier grapes? I would also take frozen must with skins. My plan is to freeze the fresh grapes until the Syrah arrives. I talked with Musto and they said they might do it but would need to be tacked on to some other big order in the area.

Hi there,

Co-fermenting Viognier with Syrah sounds like an exciting project! To find smaller quantities of Viognier grapes, you might want to consider reaching out to local vineyards, wineries, or even contacting wine-making supply stores in your area. Some wineries might be open to selling or providing smaller amounts, especially if you explain your plan and purpose.

Networking with fellow winemakers, joining wine clubs, or online forums dedicated to winemaking could also lead you to potential sources. Connecting with local grape growers' associations or agricultural organizations might yield some leads as well.

Your approach of freezing the fresh grapes until your Syrah arrives is a great way to ensure you have both components ready for co-fermentation. Remember to communicate your intentions clearly to any potential suppliers to ensure they can meet your needs.

Best of luck with your Viognier-Syrah co-fermentation venture!

Cheers,
Ahmad

Why not look into a juice bucket of Viognier? Since you’ll have to press grapes and get rid of the skins, seems like a bucket would be far easier. I’m sure your LHBS offers buckets of Viognier. My shop offers it in the spring from Chile, and in the fall from California.

Not necessarily - in fact the skins might be an important component in stabilizing the color in the resulting wine.

I'm interested in this too - I have a 1/4 ton of Syrah coming in some time next month and wonder whether I might be able to co-ferment with a little viognier.
Agree, the tannins/phenolics in the Viognier skins is what stabilizes the color. That’s why I want fresh grapes/ frozen must.

I did a petite sirah frozen must last year with about 7% Viognier juice added. It did not make a darker petite sirah.I thought it would make it have lifter aromatics/fresher. Not really but I did not do a control. Definitely lighter in color compared to other petite sirahs. I even used color pro too. (still delicious though).

Latest posts

Back