Frozen Concentrate Juice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinophyte

Junior
Reaction score
Couple of questions;
I have Welches 100% White Niagara frozen concentrate in process.

It appears to be sloooowly clearing.

On 3/12 @ SG=0.994 down from 1.014 I stirred and stabilized as well as racking fro a plastic sec to a glass sec. Used .5 tsp Pot/So and .25 tsp Bentonite. 1 or 2 days later I noticed a small air bubble release, seemed strange. I have not noticed another.

1) Any ideas on clarifying?
2) Will it hurt to use Pot/So and Bentonite again to ensure stab and improve clarity?

Started a Red version on 2/11 and it is ready to bottle, very clear. I followed a web reciepe and did not pay attention to sugar content at the time. Well this batch is rather sweet. SG went from 1.147 to 1.02 in 1 month.

Concerned about the white. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

It's slooooowly clearing, yet clearing.

Wait it out...
smiley1.gif
You're only 3 weeks (??) into it.

You could add bentonite, but I would probably just wait a few more weeks and see what it does.

Hope this helps,

Martina

One of the hardest parts of this hobby is to learn to wait.
smiley19.gif
Time is on your side here, you just have to be patient and use it. Put it away for a few weeks and start something else to keep your mind busy.

Vinophyte,

My dad recommended a niagara, so I tried a gallon. My batch has been in the secondary for about 3 or 4 weeks and is remarkably clear. Give it some time to clear on its own. To date I have never used a fining agent and all of my wine except acherry I made are crystal clear. I sweetened/flavored the cherry with cherry concentrate and I believe that made it cloudy. Most all wines will clear on their own given enough time. Also, the age will do the niagara some good before bottling. It will just get better!Edited by: pkcook

Vino- Give it some time, it will clear eventually, and the bentonite you've added will help speed things along.

It's better to use both potassium metabisulphite and potassium sorbate
together when stabilizing. Many of us have had "blown" corks and it's
really not much fun. The fact that you still have a bubble, even as
infrequently as you've seen, likely means the wine hasn't stabilized.
This is from Jack Keller's website:

Potassium sorbate, sold as a chemical or behind a product name such as Sorbistat K, is a commercial wine stabilizer that should be used in conjunction with Campden. In other words, it works better with sulfites present than without, and it works better than sulfites alone.

Vino,

If you have used the recommend amount of potassium sorbate per gallon, I would not add any more. If there is too much added to a wine, it can give it a candy-sweet/artificial flavor.

Also, since you have used potassium sorbate, I would highly recommend that you put in some sulfites. I'd recommend doing this anytime you use potassium sorbate. The same little microbes that cause a wine to go through MLF also like to chew on sorbate - the byproduct in this case is a bad geranium smell/taste that cannot be fixed.

If you have a wine ferment to dryness and just want to use sulfites but not sorbate (you aren't going to sweeten it), you can get away with just sulfites without the sorbate; however, the converse isn't true - if you add sorbate, you really should add sulfites to protect the wine against the chance of MLF bacteria invading.

Thanks to Everyone for the great advice.

Patience is a virtue, I do not possess. Perhaps I will obtain it now. Secondary effect of making wine?

Thanks for the tips on sulfites. Guess I had forgotten that little trick. I will blame it on using kits with everything provided.

Generally I do not sweeten wines. I may not ferment to completition and leave a wine slightly sweet.

Well I decided to do something else to focus my energy away from this wine. I started a Strawberry wine yesterday and plan to start a Pomegranite wine today.

For the Strawberry I used frozen berries and Welch'e White.

For the Pomegranite I will use Pomegranite juice.

Regards,

Many thanks to one and all for your tips.

Learning patience as we speak.

Pictures of the Niagara and Concord wine in process
smiley17.gif

2006-04-28_063939_Concord-A_02-05-2006.jpg

2006-04-28_063914_Niagara-A_02-12-2006.jpg

They all look great! Just remember, don't be in a rush to get them into the bottles. The hurried you go, the behinder you get. We learned by experience, lots of sediment in our early scratch wines. They still taste fine, but I wouldn't want to show them off.
smiley9.gif

Someone on the site has as their tag, success comes from experience.
experience come from failure. This is so true. We only learn by doing and
making mistakes and trying again.

vino: Take if from another newbie. Read, listen and read some more. I find this forum to be quite unique..........they actually want you to be successful and have fun doing it.

When you make a mistake don't be afraid to share your experiance as that is exactly what these folks have done and made us newbies all the better for it!
smiley32.gif

Your wines look wonderful. Be patient and your efforts will be well rewarded.

Pepere

Vino

The wines look great
smiley32.gif
. The only advice I would give right now is top those babies up. With your fermentation all but finished, reducing the air space will help keep oxygen out.

Latest posts

Back