From Cobblers To Wine...An Expirement

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waldo

Reaction score
It started out as a Muscadine Cobbler for my co-workers and in the process of making it, as I had the pies, part of the prepratiuon is seperating the pulp from the hulls and then boiling the hulls for 20-30 minutes until tender.

20060905_092145_DSCN0001.JPG

The next step is to simmer the pulp with sugar added until the pulp has dissolved.
20060905_092454_DSCN0002.JPG

The end result being

20060905_092823_cobbler.jpg

I could not help but notice that the liquid I was draining off the Muscadien hulls was a deep, rich, ruby red color and had a heavy Muscadine odor. Uh Huh...The light bulbs, bellsand whistles went off and I decided to try me an experiment using this same process, modified a bit to make wine. So I weighed out 6 lbs of Muscadines, mashed them up good,( no separation of hulls and pulp here)putthemin a pot along with one quart of water and got them to boiling good and added 2 cups sugar.
Yep, it was looking good !!
20060905_093449_boiling_muscadi.jpg

I boiled them for about 20 minutes, let them steep for about an hour and the color and aroma were awesome.
20060905_093918_boiling_muscadi.JPG

I Strained out the pulp into a strainer bag. Added the juice to my fermenter, with enough water to bring liquid to one gallon. I let it cool to room temp ( With the help of ice cubes in zip loc bag) and took an SG which was at 1.070. I added sugar to bring it to 1.090 and added the strainer bag with pulp and one Campden tablet crushed and dissolved in some of the juice along with 1 Tsp Yeast Nutrient. I let this sit for 12 hours and added 2 drops liquid pectic enzyme. I will pitch the yeast in about another 3 hours and see how the experiment goes...If the boiling of the fruit has any adverse/positive effect on the outcome of the wine.
20060905_094553_boiling_muscadi.JPG

Edited by: Waldo

So what would happen if you took the hulls from the muscadines that you used for the cobbler, and added them to a concorde type grape sort of like a crushendo. would you get enough mscadine flavor to make it worthwhile?

Not sure Peter, I did taste one of the hulls as I was putting them in the strainer bag andthe Muscadine flavor was still present but pretty weakEdited by: Waldo

Waldo, I know what a wonderful smell that was. Have ever thought of using the boiled mix to make jelly? Absloutely fantastic!

Now theres a thought bj...Thanks...May give that a try to....Does my future hold............
LAAAAAAAADIESSSSSSSS & GENTLEMENNNNNNNNN WE Present to you......
THE MUSCADINE KING !!!!! THE ONE AND ONLY !!! MR. VITIS ROTUNDIFOLIA!!!!
smiley36.gif

Man I can smell it from here Waldo! That looks terrific and who knows,
could bethe best wine you ever made right, although I don't think it's
going to beat the blueberry/melomel!

Update here..The fermentation has been going good. This picture was on day 3 in the primary.
20060909_015335_mx1_in_fermente.jpg

Racked the Muscadine to Carboy this morning after giving it a good vigirous stirring. She is merrily perking away again. Seemed a little acidic at tasting but I think it will be fine...So far....So good !! The wine on the right is a batch from Indian Blood Peaches that is just about ready to bottle.
20060909_015440_mx2_in_carboy.JPG
Edited by: Waldo

Wow Waldo,

You never cease to amaze me! The blood peach wine looks wonderful. Keep us posted on the cooked muscadine mix. I curious about Peter's suggestion with fermenting muscadine with concord. The concord has a trade mark "foxy" flavor that can be overwhelming, but a mix with the muscadine might make a wonderful blend.

Waldo, I have to agree, you are amazing with the stuff you make.

I had stashed away a couple of bottles of my Blackberry wine from last year. I haven't sampled it in several months. Last night we had friends over and opened 1 bottle. I was amazed at how muchthe flavorshave woven together.

You mentioned the acid taste. Does this get stronger with certain wines?

Waldo,

In the Muscadine/Concord wine you made, was the Muscadine the prominent flavor?

jobe05 said:
Waldo, I have to agree, you are amazing with the stuff you make.

I had stashed away a couple of bottles of my Blackberry wine from last year. I haven't sampled it in several months. Last night we had friends over and opened 1 bottle. I was amazed at how muchthe flavorshave woven together.

You mentioned the acid taste. Does this get stronger with certain wines?

It does with the Muscadine jobe. I always end up giving mine a dose of calcium carbonate .

It was pk and as it is aging, the Muscadine is getting to be more dominant

Latest posts

Back