FRESH JUICE!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rrawhide

Reaction score
Anybody live near Manteca, California?

Delicato Vineyards (Winery) in Manteca, Ca sells fresh blended juice each September to home winemakers. This year it is September 19-28th. 10 days only.

They have a blend red and a blend white for $3.10 per gallon. Quantities from 1 gallon to 200 gallons.

Last year the blend was: (here is a copy of their email to me)

"We do sell live grape juice for 10 days in September: 19th - 28th.The

pumps open at 9am and close at 4:30pm each day.You may purchase any quantity from 1 gallon to 200 gallons.We do not offer specific

varietals but a blend that our winemakers put together each season.

When you purchase your juice, we have the breakdown of the brix, pH, TA

and varieties used...we do not have the information ahead of time.Last

year the Red was 49% Zin, 33% Carignane and 18% Rubired for color; the

White was 85% French Colombard and 15% Symphony."

This is a 3 hour run for me so I am not sure but I probably will go and get some. I am thinking of a rubbermade 32 gallon 'brute' container each with 25 gallons. Then use this for the primary.

Wadda think?

rrawhide

GO 4 IT !
At 3.10 a gallon you cant go wrong. Well worth the 3 hr trip.

no, I did not try this last year - just heard about it.
maybe there are some vineyards in your area that might do this too.

good luck

rrawhide

Any idea if this can be shipped? Not sure if that would be a good idea or not.

not shippable - gotta pick up so com'on out and get some!!!
I decided that I am going to get 30 gals of the red and probably 20 of the white. I have a couple of rubbermaid 'brute' containers and will use those to transport. I will put an airlock in each lid, seal with duct tape (the 100 mph kind!!) and put plastic on the floor of the SUV. (momma's car!!! - better be x careful!!!).

I will ferment in these 'brutes' and then pump to my carboys.

Soo that's the plan - - - - today that is!!!

rrawhide
smiley1.gif

Those prices are very cheap! Sounds like you can have some fun with them.

For the red are you going to get a 50+ gallon Brute? The 32 will not hold that much red and have it ferment without a lot of overflow. The white will be good and you could even do about 25 gallons with plenty of room.

Has the red been pressed or is it the must with berries in it? If must and not straight juice, you are wise to get extra since you will lose some when pressing.

Good luck and have fun!

Hey Rich

This is juice only and not must. I have 2 - 32 gallon 'brutes' and you are right - i will probably get red in both of them. I also have 2 - 12 gallon food storage containers and will just get the white in them. That will be plenty of whites since we mostly like reds anyway.

I found out, also, that Delicato winery has a home winemaker supply store in their tasting room and that they are doing this for their customers. They open the 'juice' sales up to a limited public offering just for courtesy. I had never heard about this until a few days ago from another commercial winemaker friend. Delicato is a large large winery and has been around for along time. Check out their website: www.delicato.com.

We are picking the syrah from my friends winery, Deparo, tomorrow early am - ie: 0500 I will be there. The brix will be 25.0-25.5 and lots of bird damage so off they come. Merlot is 19.5-20.0 and we will get them on the following Monday. Hopefully, I will get a bunch of this must too.

What am I doin'?

rrawhide

Latest posts

Back