Freezing Must?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lloyd

green grape
Reaction score
Can you freeze an active must or the active lees and later thaw and use to activate another must with that yeast culture?:a1

It is possible however no guarantees.

I did some experiments for my web-log on this and froze a very active yeast-starter.

After thawing it started fermenting again !!!

But there is no guarantee that it will work, there are too many variables involved like freezing temps and health of the yeast colony.

Luc

I freeze my slurries all the time and so far they have all worked when defrosted.

Thanks. Luc, and Julie I'm going to freeze the lees from my pineapple for skeeter pee when my supplies come in it will be about a week.

Lloyd, I have slurry that has been frozen for 9 months and while it is defrosting it starts working.

If its just a few weeks then just refridge the lees. Beer makers do this all the time as beer yeast can get much more expensive at almost $10 each.

Gonna have to try that. Buying the liquid beer yeast is not cheap. And neither is starting another batch right away.

Latest posts

Back