WineXpert Fortifying port kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WAG

Reaction score
I'm drawing a mental blank on this. My 3 gal carbon is already full. If I'm gonna add 2 bottles of brandy, in which container do I do this? All I have is 6 gal after this. That would leave too much head space. Do I mix it in a 6 gal, then rack to a 3 and then a 1 gallon?

Have you added the F pack yet? If so mix it in a primary bucket or carboy then rack back to 3G Carboy and a 1.5L Magnum. If you still need to add the F pack you may be able to use a gallon jug.

You may want to wait until you are ready to bottle and let it age a bit in the bottle, instead of possibly adding alot of oxygen to it

Ok. So it's good to add brandy then go straight to bottle?

If your making a port, it should be added while the must is fermenting, stopping the fermentation, and leaving a sugar residue...any other time, you are just making a wine with added alcohol...its not a port.

I know I add the dextrose to end fermentation. I add brandy then too?? I thought somebody mentioned brandy goes in during bulk aging. Just asking. Trying to get this right.

I may have done it wrong but I added a whole bottle to top off my three gal carboy where its been setting to this day. I will bottle net week.

I know I add the dextrose to end fermentation. I add brandy then too?? I thought somebody mentioned brandy goes in during bulk aging. Just asking. Trying to get this right.

Good morning Wag, I step fed the dextrose ,in thirds over 3 day period ...I fortified after my first bulk aged racking.... I remember someone saying why waste your fortifier when racking the first time....Good Luck

Let me see if I can explain this:
Port: Brandy is added at the half way point during fermentaion.
Lets start a batch with and sg of 1.100, and we figure it will be dry at .990....so we watch the hydrometer, and when it gets to 1.045 we add our brandy, thus stopping fermentation with a residue of sugar left giving us a sweet but high abv wine. that is very smooth. there is no need for adding sugar, are flavor are fruit are anything.

If done in any other fashion....then it is a just a wine with a high abv, and will taste stringent and very strong.

http://winemakermag.com/427-luscious-port-wine

I have no idea why these kit makers keep calling it a port wine...other then the wine has a higher abv then normal..

Port is made in its own style, as sherry is made in its own. Are for that matter as dragon blood is made in its own way.

Not sure if any port kits say add brandy at halve way point, but I dont make kits either.

Add the brandy now so it can begin to "marry" with the wine. James, don't get caught up on semantics. This is how it's done with a kit styled port.

I have no idea why these kit makers keep calling it a port wine...other then the wine has a higher abv then normal..

Port is made in its own style, as sherry is made in its own. Are for that matter as dragon blood is made in its own way.

Not sure if any port kits say add brandy at halve way point, but I dont make kits either.

Nicely stated James

As it says in the link I provided you add the bandy later when the wine is finished fermentation. Its the Kit way lol

James, you are technically correct in what you are saying and it is obvious you are very educated on port, but for the average wine maker (most people here) that is not practical. I think we all realize that what we are making is "port style" wine, not a true port. Trying to halt the fermentation by adding brandy may work but it is going to be guessing game as to when to add it. There is nothing wrong with making a "port style" wine by adding brandy at the end. Even RJ Spagnols call theirs a port style wine, not a port. It is my understanding even if you did it the technically correct way then you could not call it a port unless you made it in Portugal.

I have several different true ports myself, 11 different vintage ports, 3 unfiltered lbv, 1 filtered lbv, 1 tawny, 1 20 year tawny, 1 white and 3 reserves all totaling 104 bottles.

I think we need to lighten up a little on port vs port style debate, after all most of us are just here to have some fun with it. Sort of like me calling my Apple Pie Moonshine, I was called out for calling it moonshine but I think everyone knew it was not real illegal moonshine.

I agree with most of your post thig....but the beginners are buy kits, called ports, when they are not...I dont think they should do that....
Then the folks buying the kids have no idea what a real port is...
I for one can tell you which is a port style, and which is a real port blindfolded.
Btw....I made your apple pie moonshine, it was excellent.
I went on to make a spiced peach moonshine...thanks for that recipe....

Good explanation thig. Same with Campaign from france and Sparking wine made here in the US

Latest posts

Back