Fortify a Raspberry Wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamdave

Junior
Reaction score
I want to fortify a raspberry wine and am looking for suggestions about what liquor to do it with. I was thinking maybe a brandy? Also, this will be my first time fortifying a wine so any tips will be helpful as well. Thanks!
Dave

Brandy or Everkleer is the way to go. Do you think you have enough flavor to do this. You usually use a lot more fruit when making it a higher abv like this.

You always want more than 2# of fruit in a recipe. I'd go with 4# on this. Be careful... raspberries are high acid... so be prepared to bring that down if you need to. It won't start if the ph is too low. You'll want a real rich base to stand up to the high alcohol level.

Have fun!

Debbie

Personally I use around 8 lbs of fruit per gallon myself and anytime I was going to up the abv above say 14% Id start adding more fruit like with a Port. With a Port I would almost dble the amount of fruit.

Raspberry is one that CAN overpower. It's also not one I would personally fortify... I don't know why, I just don't think of it that way!

Debbie

also as far as what to use I'd use everclear to do it less volume to use so you don't dilute the flavor

I tried making some once... didn't like it.

I'm not sure I'm a "straight alcohol" drinker....

Debbie

Personally I use around 8 lbs of fruit per gallon myself and anytime I was going to up the abv above say 14% Id start adding more fruit like with a Port. With a Port I would almost dble the amount of fruit.

8lbs? Wow. Why does the recipe suggest so much less than that? I want to make sure this has plenty of body so I'll definitely go with at least 8 as you suggest. Unless you think 16 is better for this?

how high are you wanting to fortify it to??

I'm not sure. What do you suggest? I don't want to make rocket fuel. Just a nice fruit wine with a little kick.

I think with higher abv you need more body also so consider using some glycerin in this.
http://www.finevinewines.com/searchadv.aspx?searchterm=glycerin&ShowPics=1

Deb, I know what your saying but have you ever tried raspberry vodka?

I've never used glycerin before. It gets added at bottling time, right? Is it just to taste or is there an amount per volume I should be aware of?

Thanks so much for all the information guys! This is really helpful and I appreciate it!

Basically taste bjut 1-2 ounces per gallon is what is recommended. It will add mouth feel and body. It will also be perceived as sweeter also and you can add it when ever.

Back