Fortified wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CNMDesign

Reaction score
Is it against the law to make fortified wine. If not, does anyone here make it, or have tried to make it.

It is and it isnt.....in the US its fine, unless it goes over 22 percent.

James I don't get this. Your telling me, for example, if I mix Everclear in my wine and the abv goes over 22% it is illegal?

different states have different precentages...
i think North Carolina is 16 percent.Not sure bout the others, its best to check the state laws.

James I have to question this. Are you telling me they don't sell port in these states? Are you saying if I make a wine and I add vodka to it, that makes it illegal? Can you copy and paste the paragraph and where you read it.

A lot of folks here make fortified wine and, no, it is not illegal provided the fortifier you use is purchased on the open market.

I believe this is correct answer - You are allowed to make whatever the yeast will produce - legally ( which we all know that they can not reach above 22 %)
any part of distillation including freezing is also illegal. So purchasing a higher content of alcohol and adding it to your homemade wine - there should be no question that it is legal.

The only time it might be illegal if you try and sell it of course !!

Runningwolf, i am talking about what you can make at home, as a home winemaker, not a commercial sales agent.
Each state is different.

I believe this is correct answer - You are allowed to make whatever the yeast will produce - legally ( which we all know that they can not reach above 22 %)
any part of distillation including freezing is also illegal. So purchasing a higher content of alcohol and adding it to your homemade wine - there should be no question that it is legal.

The only time it might be illegal if you try and sell it of course !!

Runningwolf, i am talking about what you can make at home, as a home winemaker, not a commercial sales agent.
Each state is different.

I understand that but I know Steve is accurate. I also know some states have hokey pokey laws and that is why I am asking you to copy and paste on here for all to read and post the source. Federal Laws allow Two adults (same household ) to make 200 gallons but there are states that make the limit less. This is why I'm interested for the sake of the members here.

jack kellars web site:
In the United States, there are severe restrictions against fortifying wines at home. I am not familiar with the revelvant laws of most states, but I do know that in Texas homemade wine may not be distilled, fortified, or otherwise altered to increase its alcohol content. Be aware of the laws in your state before making port wine. Thus, the laws of Texas only allow one kind of port winemaking, and that is through fermentation -- start to finish

I did not know that...

I feel as a home wine maker I can blend any % of any store bought alcohol with anything I want and call it what ever. Example. If I take 4oz of Everclear and mix it with 1 oz wine, put it in a glass and call it Port so what. Did I break a law, I dont think so.

I think there laws that are in place for commercial wine makers and what they can legally call their finished produce. That's why Dairy Queen cant call the product they serve 'Ice Cream.' It doent have enough milk fat to fit the legal definition as ice cream.

http://www.winespectator.com/webfeature/show/id/49008

My 2cents

RR

Thig..this is for texas:
State Law: Legal Amounts of Homemade Wine

Texas law regarding homemade wine amends federal law. The state of Texas permits 200 gallons or less in one calendar year for the head of household (married or single) who has attained the age of 21.

State Alcoholic Beverages Control Agency

Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission
5806 Mesa Dr.
Austin, TX 78731
Phone: 512.206.3254
Fax: 512.206.3274

mailing address:
P.O. Box 13127
Austin, TX 78711

Statute Title & Description

Texas Alcohol Beverage Code

Title 1 Chapter 1 Section 1.04. Definitions

“Alcoholic beverage” means alcohol, or any beverage containing more than one-half of one percent of alcohol by volume, which is capable of use for beverage purposes, either alone or when diluted.

“Illicit beverage” means an alcoholic beverage:

(A) manufactured, distributed, bought, sold, bottled, rectified, blended, treated, fortified, mixed, processed, warehoused, stored, possessed, imported, or transported in violation of this code;
(B) on which a tax imposed by the laws of this state has not been paid and to which the tax stamp, if required, has not been affixed; or
(C) possessed, kept, stored, owned, or imported, with intent to manufacture, sell, distribute, bottle, rectify, blend, treat, fortify, mix, process, warehouse, store, or transport in violation of this code.

James what the heck does that have to do with anything? It says nothing about blending wine and legally purchased spirits to make port. That is the point you brought up that everyone is debating and wants to see where it came from. You have not produced any such thing. I feel it's important for those effected to be able to read it for themselves.

If that is true then nearly every cocktail made would be illegal.

Each state is different.

James,

I think that you are safe to make port to any strength provided that you purchase your fortifier. You are fermenting wine legally, then simply adding legal hooch (that you did not manufacture) to it without the intent to sell it.

If what you say is true, it would be illegal for you to make a martini for yourself (vermouth being a fermented herb wine and gin a legal hooch).

I stumbled across this site today while looking at something else.

http://abc.nc.gov/product/

It gives definitions (for North Carolina only) of various alcohol names. It specifically States that for commercial interests port may not be above 24% abv. Above that they consider it a spirituous liquor and probably tax it as well as license it differently.

I don't know it matters to home winemakers. I am not a lawyer, I am not offering legal advice. I don't even live in NC. One other thing another state law stated was the brandy had to be from like fruit, so forget that Evercleer.

Seems like a lot of state laws are based off the federal law. I am guessing that the 100/200 gallon exemption is an easy line where, above that, it is not for personal use.

What I don't get is that all distilled spirits are federally taxed. Since it is not a safety issue (don't have to be licensed, just pay the tax), I don't see how they can regulate an individual for personal use. I could see if they claim a still is dangerous, but then they would have to license you, not just make you pay the tax.

Federal law on Distilled spirits:
http://www.ttb.gov/spirits/faq.shtml#s3

Back