Following on

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cherry-bon

Reaction score
Hi all
Thank you for your help in me getting started with my apple wine.
I’ve been stirring once/twice a day, and the activity is coming to a stop so now it’s time to strain and put into demi-John.

I want to be organised although I could potentially have another disaster given I have to strain into something else first 😅
So my only question for the moment is, I’m putting vodka into the airlock but I’m not sure where to put it up to?
What’s the best method for putting the vodka in?
Kind regards from UK

What’s the best method for putting the vodka in?
What kind of airlock(s) do you have? I use 3 piece locks and generally fill them about half way up the center stem. For double-bubblers, when I used them I filled them about 1/3 full, having to shake 'em a bit to get the liquid to distribute.

Like Dave, I have a large straining back that fits over my narrower primary fermenters. I use this when pressing grapes to remove any pulp or oak chips that escape the press. It works the same for any type of fruit.

Yes, the straining can potentially be quite an adventure!

Lately I've been lining my buckets of high pulp musts with the brew bag but not closing it. Saves a step.

I have 3 kinds of airlocks and they all have fill lines.
Hi thanks. My airlocks are cheap. I don’t think there’s a fill line but I’ll check. I’ll splash out on better equipment if this all works out well.
And yes I’m going to do that with the bag next time! I have a bag now 🙃

What kind of airlock(s) do you have? I use 3 piece locks and generally fill them about half way up the center stem. For double-bubblers, when I used them I filled them about 1/3 full, having to shake 'em a bit to get the liquid to distribute.

Like Dave, I have a large straining back that fits over my narrower primary fermenters. I use this when pressing grapes to remove any pulp or oak chips that escape the press. It works the same for any type of fruit.
Hi thank you for your response. I think I have doublers.
I have a large bag now which I didn’t when I started it. So I’m going to have to tip all the liquid and mulch into a big pan then I’ll tip it back into the (cleaned out) bucket with a straining bag in it and then figure out how I’m going to hang it. It’s a bit easier with jam. I’ll get my other half in the work shop, im sure he will be thrilled to make me a contraption.

At this stage do I add anything? Potassium?
Thanks again

I have a large bag now which I didn’t when I started it. So I’m going to have to tip all the liquid and mulch into a big pan then I’ll tip it back into the (cleaned out) bucket with a straining bag in it and then figure out how I’m going to hang it. It’s a bit easier with jam. I’ll get my other half in the work shop, im sure he will be thrilled to make me a contraption.

Thanks again
the S-airlock or double bubble will keep liquid much longer then a 3 piece,
the 3 piece is much easier to clean .
at each racking i add about 1/4 of potassium metabisulfite also called K-Meta,
unless I run my alcohol ABV up that helps keep oxidation away,,,
Dawg

the S-airlock or double bubble will keep liquid much longer then a 3 piece,
the 3 piece is much easier to clean .
at each racking i add about 1/4 of potassium metabisulfite also called K-Meta,
unless I run my alcohol ABV up that helps keep oxidation away,,,
Dawg
Yes when I’ve sanitised them it is tricky to get the liquid out.
Ok so 1/4 at each racking.
I’m not really following what you mean with running alcohol ABV up but I’ll google 😅kind regards

I’m not really following what you mean with running alcohol ABV up but I’ll google 😅kind regards
He's referring to increasing the ABV of the wine by having the yeast perform up to or beyond their normal alcohol limit. Generally it's done by step feeding - add sugar and let the yeast feed, add sugar and let the yeast feed, and maybe even a third time. Take SG readings at each step and you can easily figure out the ABV. 18-19% ABV is relatively easy to get and hitting 20%+ is possible. I think to balance the high alcohol many people back sweeten a lot, thereby making a dessert wine. I don't care for the high alcohol taste so I go the dessert route.

Thanks again
This time of year my winery is in the basement so I put a hook in a beam and use a rope to lift the bag. It gets clogged easily so you may have to work it with your clean hands.

The dose for potassium metabisulfite is generally 1/4 teaspoon for 5-6 gallons. I noticed the "teaspoon" got left out of the conversation. 😁

BigDave I made a contraption…hung from under a stool and had to cable tie a wooden thing to the stool with bag on it.
Then when I went to cut off ties (instead of waiting for help) the cable tie pinged off and went straight into bucket 😫well we shall see what becomes of it now 🙄

My airlocks are cheap.
All airlocks I've used it seems are cheap plastic. If you can find better ones, that is one area I'd not upgrade.

Most of my airlocks are 3+ decades old, and while the plastic has yellowed a bit, they are still solid, and the plastic doesn't touch the wine.

Last edited:
He's referring to increasing the ABV of the wine by having the yeast perform up to or beyond their normal alcohol limit. Generally it's done by step feeding - add sugar and let the yeast feed, add sugar and let the yeast feed, and maybe even a third time. Take SG readings at each step and you can easily figure out the ABV. 18-19% ABV is relatively easy to get and hitting 20%+ is possible. I think to balance the high alcohol many people back sweeten a lot, thereby making a dessert wine. I don't care for the high alcohol taste so I go the dessert route.
Ok thank you for the explanation.

Well it’s in the demi and air lock on but seems dead as a door nail. I will try a picture upload. Last picture didn’t work, it was of my straining contraption but our wifi is stuck in the dark ages.
If there’s no bubbles is it a duff or do you have to wait some time? 😑🫣🥱

BigDave I made a contraption…hung from under a stool and had to cable tie a wooden thing to the stool with bag on it.
Then when I went to cut off ties (instead of waiting for help) the cable tie pinged off and went straight into bucket 😫well we shall see what becomes of it now 🙄
There's alcohol to protect it so you should be fine.

And we make a big deal about cleanliness and sanitation but I've had cat hair in my primaries..uh...more than once. 😆

There's alcohol to protect it so you should be fine.

And we make a big deal about cleanliness and sanitation but I've had cat hair in my primaries..uh...more than once. 😆
Oh no please don’t tell me that. I have chaetophobia 🤣although we do have a dog and other fur animals but it is a big challenge for me. I’m completely paranoid about hairs getting into things 🐶 I’m more concerned that I have no activity in my demi John right now x

Latest posts

Back