WineXpert Flocculation (or lack thereof)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have noticed that the kits that I make which contain grapeskins often don't flocculate as well as I would like, particularly the Eclipse reds. I have taken to sanitizing my stainless steel strainer and bowl, and pouring the remnants from the primary fermenter through it. I have gotten between 500 and 600mL of additional wine from this process, on 3 different occasions. The first kit that I did this to is in the bottle, and is fine, so I don't think I have done any damage (will let you know about the long term someday) to the wine. The bonus for my extra labor is that there is less room for topping up (ya, I know I'm not supposed to) for longer term aging.

i have made a couple Eclipse kits and selection Intl and have noticed that the sediment in the primary is at least a couple inches deep making it impossible to rack effectively. I put the rest into a 1.5L and wait for it to settle out. I can usually recover 750ml doing this. The RJS winery series kits have sediment but nothing like the WE products. Just my observations
Cheers

Latest posts

Back