new welding kit advice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Ajmassa maybe your wife will let you take the door off of her oven and add a temporary sheet metal box to extend the length enough to handle the largest piece. Just set for convection bake and everything will be good. I suppose you should first prepare a tent in the backyard for sleeping.
Everything I’ve read online says to absolutely not use your kitchen oven. For multitude of reasons. I’m not even flirting with that idea. The LAST thing I need is for something to go wrong. I’d be in the backyard no doubt. But pushing daisies rather than a tent.

the 2020 cold box was a success. Now let’s see if 2021’s hot box can match it.

It feels like that scene from Apollo 13. The engineers in Houston attempting to find a solution to relay to the astronauts. They’re handed a box of random material and the boss says “We gotta make this fit into the hole made for this, using nothing but that. You have 4 hours. Godspeed”15C263FE-C175-44D8-B460-B229F9A42A88.jpeg

Last edited:
@Ajmassa maybe your wife will let you take the door off of her oven and add a temporary sheet metal box to extend the length enough to handle the largest piece. Just set for convection bake and everything will be good. I suppose you should first prepare a tent in the backyard for sleeping.
I sense that you maybe joking about borrowing the wife's oven. But there is a creative gent in my area who did build an extension on an existing oven for powder coating and it worked! I didn't see it work -but the build was clever. Unfortunately, I can't cite specfic details about the build because I can't recall them. Sorry

ILet’s hope so. This damn hobby has always got me doing some sort of little project or rigging tho this ones definitely more involved than typical. And it doesn’t always work out either lol! The vinyl gutter “must shoot” to send crushed grapes from the yard to the basement was quite the shitshow!
I shall overcome.

I have to say the vinyl gutter episode was one of the best posts ever on this forum.

Carry on….

I have to say the vinyl gutter episode was one of the best posts ever on this forum.

Carry on….
I don’t recall the post- I just remember the L. Didn’t even come close to working lol. So they next year I crushed in the basement sparking the fruit fly pandemic and a whole other set of impromptu riggings. Took a few season to find the best approach to crushing at home but I think I’m there
I sense that you maybe joking about borrowing the wife's oven. But there is a creative gent in my area who did build an extension on an existing oven for powder coating and it worked! I didn't see it work -but the build was clever. Unfortunately, I can't cite specfic details about the build because I can't recall them. Sorry
apprciate the insight. This is a very likely outcome for me. I don’t think it would have to be too complex. Especially for a one time use.
Im picturing the oven door open— which acts as a continuation of the bottom. Then creating a box with one side open and no bottom. Place atop the open oven door and that’s all she wrote. Should be able to get me there. Keeping eyes peeled for freebie electric ovens

I would even make it out of cardboard. And wrap entire thing in high temp foil tape. Or duct sheet metal. Gotta get myself a damn welding setup!

That’s why I’m dead set on powdercoat at this point.

FWIIW: Like paint, not all powder coating formulations are certified and approved for food contact. So even if you get it professionally done, you may need to ask about their formulations, and your local laws and requirements for this application which may have weaker rules for things like crushers (I do not know), if you want assure to be food safe code compliant.

Also before DIY powder coating, suggest a perusal of:

http://powder-coater.com/safe-powder-coating-guidelines.pdf

Last edited:
honestly i don’t have many specific use cases in mind just yet except one project, but i know that’ll change once i jump in. I want to modify a stainless steel cart i’ve got, along with my SS crusher/destemmer shoot & stand and the crusher/destemmer itself to build a custom mobile setup to my needs.

requires some cutting and welding. did some more digging and check this one out.

it’s a plasma, TIG, and stick 3in1 combo unit for medium duty homeowner type stuff.
https://amzn.to/3vqjyku
found on this blog of tool reviews
https://comfortworkboots.com/best-plasma-cutters-with-tig-stick-welder-combo-options/
this is what you need, i built stores in malls for years, tons of stainless on store fronts, plasma for cutting and a tig and a spool wire of stainless, if you want looks the buff with jewelers rouge,, you can also do some things with a mig, i am not familiar, or you can sweat it with a oc torch silver sticks much stronger then soldiering, and i would not silver wash myself, if you do use a plasma cutter set air to 55 lbs,,, good luck,
Dawg

Back