new welding kit advice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would strip it down to the greatest extent possible and take it to a powder coater. They will bead blast to prep which will nicely remove all that rust. Then you can get it powdercoated any color you want. It will look brand new and last for years that way.

And nice job on the improvised stand.

Last edited:
I would strip it down to the greatest extent possible and take it to a powder coater. They will bead blast to prep is which will nicely remove all that rust. Then you can get to powdercoated any color you want. It will look brand new and last for years that way.

And nice job on the improvised stand.
Reaching out for quotes.

I agree with the above Mecnosud, but I couldn't find any detailed information. It looks a lot like the Enoitalia model Eno15; I'm not sure, but Enoitalia may have acquired the business.

Attachments

• Enoitalia Crusher Destemmer Manual(english).pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
Sandblast & powdercoating not worth it. Got a couple numbers back. For the cost of $800-$1,000 I’d be better off just getting a new one.

Taking this apart is a project. And my fear is breaking my stones to do all that then not getting it reassembled properly. But like anything else, I’ll just have to dive in and make it work.

I’ll replace all hardware, rollers, & belt. I’m not concerned with food safe paint.
Sucker is cryin. Screaming. I did thislast minute work last year with my press too. When @Johnd once told me “procrastinators- this is your hobby” I’m not sure this is what he meant! 😁 A0F92EAB-0F91-407C-A9C7-D5A205EE2A23.jpeg2741E5CD-C932-4877-AA76-AF25CC43101C.jpeg66977832-8ACB-4D10-B52D-AE0438E8D14F.jpeg

Sandblast & powdercoating not worth it. Got a couple numbers back. For the cost of $800-$1,000 I’d be better off just getting a new one.

Taking this apart is a project. And my fear is breaking my stones to do all that then not getting it reassembled properly. But like anything else, I’ll just have to dive in and make it work.

I’ll replace all hardware, rollers, & belt. I’m not concerned with food safe paint.
Sucker is cryin. Screaming. I did thislast minute work last year with my press too. When @Johnd once told me “procrastinators- this is your hobby” I’m not sure this is what he meant! 😁 View attachment 77638View attachment 77639View attachment 77640

I know you're more than capably of taking it apart and reassembling it but we are getting close to crush. My only fear would be the time it takes, especially the prep to paint. My recommendation would be to wait until after crush.

I know you're more than capably of taking it apart and reassembling it but we are getting close to crush. My only fear would be the time it takes, especially the prep to paint. My recommendation would be to wait until after crush.
Yeah that’s probably the safest thing and makes sense—-too much sense for my impulsive brain. I’m already knee deep in disassembly! Lol No turning back. Swinging by Depot after work for some grinder & multi-tool abrasive attachments.

doing 2 batches again this season. The earlier D Red batch won’t need the C/D. Will be a family event w/ all the kids for an old school grape stomping party!
But not at my house so I’ll bring my manual crusher along just in case. (W/ my C/D being so old I figured to keep the manual around as a backup). And I’ll use buckets to transport back to the MassaVino Winery to ferment.

And my 2nd batch last year wasn’t in till late October. So potentially could be 2 months til crush day.

Yeah that’s probably the safest thing and makes sense—-too much sense for my impulsive brain. I’m already knee deep in disassembly! Lol No turning back. Swinging by Depot after work for some grinder & multi-tool abrasive attachments.

doing 2 batches again this season. The earlier D Red batch won’t need the C/D. Will be a family event w/ all the kids for an old school grape stomping party!
But not at my house so I’ll bring my manual crusher along just in case. (W/ my C/D being so old I figured to keep the manual around as a backup). And I’ll use buckets to transport back to the MassaVino Winery to ferment.

And my 2nd batch last year wasn’t in till late October. So potentially could be 2 months til crush day.

Good luck, you're a braver man than me. At least you have plan B.

Ended up loading up on a whole arsenal of options for this task. Don’t care if I never use the majority. It’s just a bunch of junk from everyone’s favorite high end boutique harbor freight.
Odds are I’ll end up using none and fall back to good ol elbow grease & steel wool.

Also, I was today years old when I learned that ‘plastic welding kits’ are a real thing.

I agree with the above Mecnosud, but I couldn't find any detailed information. It looks a lot like the Enoitalia model Eno15; I'm not sure, but Enoitalia may have acquired the business.
thanks. That manual is helpful. I’ve been referencing another chart. for Grifo. It’s from my local spot in Jersey. Last 20 pages of the catalog are essentially parts lists for different winemaking items. And Grifo is basically the same thing as the Enoitalia aside from roller material.
Optimistic this little project will get me a few more years. Tho my ‘sometimes-partner’ (dad) wants to just get new one. And we will soon. What he doesn’t realize is that I actually enjoy all this stuff!

E5454192-FF63-476A-9D3B-A1D078C1314B.jpeg3C044F78-37B2-4D73-98B9-1ECA4EC6069D.jpeg

Trying figure out how the hell to get this thing to 400° for ~20 min. if I can then I wanna get one of those home powdercoat setups.
Got a 4’ SS cabinet sitting unused. I could get an old electric oven, rip out the heating elements & controls to gypsy rig into the cabinet maybe. Or something else entirely. Just spitballing. To be realistic needs to be quick, easy & cheap.

Btw the stripping sucks. I did a little test section to figure my approach. It is gonna be a long loud dirty job. All the different grinder attachments will need to be utilized.1A92FFD2-4129-4142-AAA8-56DF6B981131.jpeg76DA3571-21E4-40A9-B8EA-2CB5A16A84B4.jpeg

Trying figure out how the hell to get this thing to 400° for ~20 min. if I can then I wanna get one of those home powdercoat setups.
Got a 4’ SS cabinet sitting unused. I could get an old electric oven, rip out the heating elements & controls to gypsy rig into the cabinet maybe. Or something else entirely. Just spitballing. To be realistic needs to be quick, easy & cheap.

Btw the stripping sucks. I did a little test section to figure my approach. It is gonna be a long loud dirty job. All the different grinder attachments will need to be utilized.View attachment 77718View attachment 77720

I feel for you AJ, when I saw the condition of the existing finish I knew you had your hands full. Again you are a better man than I for attempting it.

Powder coat would be great if you can overcome the oven issue. The two part bathtub paint is another option that gives a good durable finish once cured.

AJ ~ Super job on this! I love watching the progress and the figuring it all out. You're going to be very satisfied and feel quite accomplished when it's done, and it's going to look fantastic too!

No it won't. You'll be sleeping. 😅
I know man. I’ll have to train myself to keep ideal hours. The last thing I want is to fall into a nocturnal body clock. That would be terrible!

Man, all that work and you'll still end up with paint and potential rust.

Maybe just work a few extra hours and buy a stainless crusher/destemmer.

That's my plan anyway.
I agree. That’s why I’m dead set on powdercoat at this point. As I plugged away the last few days I’ve come to that realization. But I also can’t justify dropping a $1,000 for a paint job. But I absolutely can get behind investing in having my own powdercoat setup.
Eastwood Powder Gun!

and I know I’ll find a way to bake it. Only need it once. Later on I’ll get a toaster oven or something and utilizing PC for small hardware type things.
The widest point at the hopper is 3’. That’s workable. I’ll get the new one after the inevitable divorce! 😂
Better than me too. But I love watching other guys take on projects like this - it’s gonna look great!
Let’s hope so. This damn hobby has always got me doing some sort of little project or rigging tho this ones definitely more involved than typical. And it doesn’t always work out either lol! The vinyl gutter “must shoot” to send crushed grapes from the yard to the basement was quite the shitshow!

AJ ~ Super job on this! I love watching the progress and the figuring it all out. You're going to be very satisfied and feel quite accomplished when it's done, and it's going to look fantastic too!
Same here. Especially when someone posts the progression of a wineroom/cellar build.
Looking forward to figuring out this powdercoat thing- which i didn’t know much about before this week.
Powder coat would be great if you can overcome the oven issue. The two part bathtub paint is another option that gives a good durable finish once cured.
I shall overcome.

@Ajmassa maybe your wife will let you take the door off of her oven and add a temporary sheet metal box to extend the length enough to handle the largest piece. Just set for convection bake and everything will be good. I suppose you should first prepare a tent in the backyard for sleeping.

Back