Mosti Mondiale Yeast and a New Kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

articwater

Junior
Reaction score
Well, based on a conversation with George and a very thin Chianti from WE, I bought a Merlot, Vinifera Noble. Made the must this weekend and being a guy didn't read all the directions
smiley1.gif
. Instead of placing the yeast in warm water for 15 mins or so ( as per George's video I watched afterwards), I sprinkled the yeast on top of the must like I did with the WE kits.

Just checked it, lots of foam so I think I'm ok but checking for any advice. This kit also says to stir once a day during primary fermentation - that's different than the WE. Do others stire their must/wine during primary?

Warren

Stirring the must helps get oxygen to the rapidly reproducing yeast and may help give it a cleaner ferment with less potential for any off flavors or smells (not that it is likely). You will be fine with the yeast being sprinkled.

Sounds good articwater! I enjoy stirring the wine during fermentation. As appleman says it adds oxygen for the yeasties but it also makes me feel useful and that I am contributing to the process.
smiley1.gif

I have never made a yeast starter (other than for bread). I always just sprinkle it on top. Never had a problem.

super new here and this is my first post, as it was my first question..
Do you stir during the fermentation process.. I just started my first batch, MM Cab Sauv and it started active fermentation yesterday. should I stir each day? how much, just a little or minutes?
Thanks

Welcome to the forum, John. As with most questions about winemaking, you will get a variety of answers. Personally, if the must has raisins or a grape pack, I will stir it maybe 10 seconds at a time and do that twice a day for 5 to 7 days until the specific gravity, SG, is below about 1.001. Then I submerge the bag containing the grape pack or raisins and lock the lid on with an airlock for another week or so. Kits with no GP or raisins I don't bother stirring. It is always a good idea to have your primary bucket closed up and under airlock once vigorous fermentation is complete if you aren't going to rack to a carboy right away.

Have fun and keep those q's coming!

Welcome to the forum, John. +1 on James' post although, I stir all my wines in primary.
smiley1.gif

Ok,
one more question, I racked to Carboy on Sunday Morning, and per my instructions (I'm sticking with them on first batch) I added oak to the carboy first then racked the wine.. no volcano or any problem.. I'm at about 1.000 on Sunday, so I'm pretty close and not alot of activity in carboy.. should I be stiring daily in carboy.. Kit says to keep in carboy till this weekend (day 12) until SG is consitant.. I'm keep it warm, but not sure if I should stir..

and also, very stupid question, how do you test the SG when in a carboy? put it in a wine theif then put the Hydro in the wine theif? or in another container?

No need to stir at this point.

As far as testing - the wine thief makes it easier. Either test in the thief or put in a cylinder to test.

No need to stir, but if you want to it really will not hurt so the choice is yours. When test the SG of beverages in a carboy, we use a wine thief and drop the hydrometer in it for the reading, you can also use a holder like this
<table ="Catalog" id="products" align="center" border="1" bordercolor="#000000" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><t><tr><td ="table" align="default" width="2%"><div align="center">5396
</td>
<td width="5%"><div align="center">
%5Cimages%5C2600B_sm.gif
</td>
<td width="20%">

Plastic Test Jar</td></tr></t></table>
By the way taste your wine and if you think it needs more oak don't worry about racking right away. It will not hurt the wine if it sits on the oak a bit longer.

Doesn't Mosti give a hint to stir daily in secondary with this kit until fermentation stops? It is not so much for fermentation but for oak extraction.

The directions don't say anything about stirring ever, but I did stir while in primary.. and I did stir a few times in secondary.. at first all my oak was floating and now after 4 days the oak has settled and I have not more foaming at the top? I think Fermenation is ending, but it says to wait till day 20 to rack.. and from what I'm reading, I don't need to rush it.. so I'll be waiting till at least day 20, and make sure my readings are the same..
Thanks Guys!.. Getting thirsty.. can't wait.

Latest posts

Back