Floating stuff after stabilization???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jblyth

Homemade Wine Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a kit wine where I just added the stabilizers (meta & sorbate) and then a clarifier (chitosan), after the requisite days in secondary fermentation. However as the attached picture shows, there is now some floating sedimentation on top of the wine. I would have expected that to sink to the bottom after a couple of days with the clarifier. Any ideas why?

I thoroughly degassed using a drill-mounted whip until there was little to no residual foaming, and was sure to mix in all the sedimentation at the bottom of the carboy as the directions state. Should I degass some more? The gunk on top looks like large globs of dead yeasties.

Kit: WineExpert "View Chateau du Roi"
Primary: 6 days
Secondary: 15 days
Total time since starting: 22 days

Note: we have had unseasonably warm temps this week (80 degrees).

IMG_2089.jpg

I think you'll be fine giving it a quick stir. It is probably some C02 keeping it in suspension. I love those carboy handles and have them on all of mine also. I keep mine down another notch than you, just for a bit more security. I believe where you have it, is what's suggested by manufacturer.

Latest posts

Back