Yeast after flavor or "off" flavor.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ivywoods

Reaction score
This is the gewurztraminer kit that I totally messed up on the beginning. I added a packet of potassium metabisulfate/sorbate when I thought I was adding yeast. I just inadvertently grabbed the wrong packet. Thanks to members of this forum I was able to rescue it after a few days with a slurry from some canned pear juice I had on hand. The fermentation finished about a couple weeks ago. I put the bottom of the last carboy in the fridge to cold crash. It has a rather yeasty taste even though I have poured off the sediment. The carboy has a very slight yeasty taste. It has been racked several times, degassed and appears to be very clear without sediment. According to the instructions on the kit I should be able to bottle it now. I am wondering, however, if I should just age it for a while in the carboy, and if so should I still rack it after a month or so. I would like to have that yeast taste go away, but I've also heard that white whines are not meant to age as long as reds.
Should I leave it in the carboy, and if so for how long?
Should I rack it even though I see no sediment and if so how frequently?
Thanks for your help!

A wine just a few weeks old is going to have all sorts of undesirable tastes in it, especially one as abused as this one. I think you will need to be patient.

Without really knowing your circumstances, I would put it in a topped up carboy, sulfite it appropriately to 50ppm SO2 and taste it a month or two from now. I'll bet it improves in a major way. But you will need to keep it properly sulfited, both to prevent spoilage and to prevent oxidation.

If you don't see sediment now, there is no need to rack it now. And though it's clear now, I would still rack again before bottling. I'm going to guess it will continue to drop a light dusting sediment for the next few months. So let it do that, then rack, sulfite, and immediately bottle. My white wine from 2020 is only now really clearing up, and I'll bottle next month. It's been racked only twice so far. The point is 6 months is not out of the question and in my view, 2 weeks is an unreasonable time frame. At least give it another month before you do anything with it.

And congrats-despite a few mistakes, you actually have a wine you may be able to drink! Your next one will be miles better for this experience.

Thanks for the comments. This 6 gallon batch is now topped up, sulfite added and aging in the carboy. I want to start a batch of skeeter pee before summer, I sure could use this carboy. Looks like I'll just have to get another one!

Latest posts

Back