First Wine Kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernest T Bass

Reaction score
A neighbor gave me a wine kit he bought in 2003 and never got around to makeing it. It is "Grand Dru" Premium white wine. It says it will make 30, one litre bottles. He purchased new yeast for me also, "Red Star -Pasteur Champagne".
The details I am giving are leading up to, "Mark the Primary Fermenter at a level of 23 Litres". Quite a bit more than my 5 gallon carboy.
It tells me to add 4 litres of warm water to primary fermenter. ( I suspose they are talking about the bucket (he gave me the bucket also) -Correct?
I poured 23 litre bottles into the bucket and marked it with a magic marker.
Then it tells me to empty concentrate bag into mixture in primarty fermenter
Rinse bag with hot water and add to primary fermenter
Add cool water to primary fermenter up to 23 litre mark.
I now have 23 litres of must and only a 5 gallon carboy, it looks like I will have about an extra gallon, whick is alright, I can put it in a gallon jug.
Should I just follow the directions and not question what they are telling me to do?
Also, I guess I've been doing something wrong all the time. I have a bucket with dissolved campden tablets in it for sanitizing everything. From what this kit tells me, I should sanitize everything, then rinse it. I have been going from sanitizing straight to the must or wine without rinseing it. Should I rinse it ?

Thanks

Semper Fi

Grand Dru? Probably Grand Cru. Which variety?

Correction...it makes 23 one litre bottles or 30 750ml bottles.

Yes, follow the instructions.

Rinsing of the sanitizer is optional. You should drain well (shake too) though.

A 7 year old white wine kit is a bit questionable, so don't be too surprised if it looks and tastes poor, as in oxidized.

Steve

Different people use different solutions for sanitizing. I've noticed some solutions tell you to rinse some do not. I use Star San sometimes and k-meta mixed with one gallon water. I do not rinse either of them. If you're using dissolved campden tablets I wouldn't think you would have to rinse.

I'm with cpfan on the age of it. Hope it turns out fine for ya.

Last edited:
I dont rinse after sanitizing and you really shouldnt have to as thats defeating the prurpose. Follow the instructions to 6 gallons. The juice could be oxisides so if I were you Id hit it with some ascorbic acid to prevent any further oxidation but still let your yeast work fine, Its vitamin C in case you didnt know and are questioning adding chemicals. I would get new yeast though!

My mistake, it is 30 1 litre bottles.
Have new Red Star - Pasteur Champagne yeast, bought last week.
I have Ester C - 500 mg, how much do you think I should add and when?

Thanks for all the info

Semper Fi

Back