First-timer mistake - potassium sorbate

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJS

Junior
Reaction score
I back sweetened & bottled my first wine tonight.

However, in the process, I forgot to add potassium sorbate.

Should I immediately un-bottle the wine, add the potassium sorboate & then go get more corks to re-bottle tomorrow? Or am I okay leaving it overnight in the bottles.

Thanks.

I would open your bottles, pour them into a bucket, and your add your ps tonight. I wouldn't risk it.

Thanks for your help. I already undid the bottling & added the PS. I'll re-bottle tomorrow. I appreciate you answering so quickly.

Thanks for your help. I already undid the bottling & added the PS. I'll re-bottle tomorrow. I appreciate you answering so quickly.

You made the correct decision - considering you already back sweetened.
If you can wait a week before rebottling - just to make sure that you do not have fermentation. Sorbate will not stop fermentation but it will prevent it.

Conclusion = you added sugar prior to sorbate and it could of possibly started fermentation already - only way to tell is by your air lock.

Also take gravity readings every day to see if it changes. More reliable then trying to watch the airlock.

Did you backsweeten the wine prior to bottling. If you did not backsweeten there was no reason to add sorbate.

DJS said he back sweetened and then bottled, forgetting the sorbate. I would also watch it for about a week, possibly checking the specific gravity now and every day or to to be sure it isn't moving.

Thanks everybody for all of your help. I'll make sure to take measurements for a week and check the air lock.

The SG did move some, but that's not too bad. It was a little on the low end. Is there a way to stop it? Or do I let it go for a week and then bottle?

The SG did move some, but that's not too bad. It was a little on the low end. Is there a way to stop it? Or do I let it go for a week and then bottle?

if fermentation starts - you have to just ride it out

Then you can lower your ABV by dilution - let it go a bit and let us know what your findings are.

Back