First time using Oak

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mcamnl

Reaction score
I stopped by my local supply shop last night and picked up 3oz. of medum toast French oak cubes and 3oz. of medum toast Hungarian oak cubes. (no rhyme or reason to my selection.) I have a Syrah and a Cab Sav. that are ready for oak. Just wondering what a good method is to doing this? My carboys are topped up. I assume adding the oak will displace some of the wine so I am planning on taking some out and putting it somewhere. (stomach maybe?) I would think just dumping them into the top of the carboy should ok? I have read they will sink eventually.

Taste periodically to determine when to remove the oak. Eventually, the oak chips will have given off all their oakiness and will stop working. If you leave the chips in that long you may or may not be happy with the results.

There are differing opinions about when to remove the oak. IMO, when the wine just starts tasting as though you have added too much oak, that's when to remove it. The reasoning behind this is that the oak taste will back off a little.

If this method scares you, when it tastes just right, take it out. :hug

Latest posts

Back