First time using Lalvin 71b-1122

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CARBOY

Reaction score
I just started a 1-gal test batch of black cherry using R.W. Knudsen “Just Black Cherry” juice. The yeast appears to be doing its thing but not what I expected. Instead of a foaming, bubbley action; I have a sparkling, glittering, sizzling fizz...when I stir it; it foams, then subsides quickly back to sparkling, glittering, sizzling fizz.

My question: Is this normal for some yeasts and juices. Here are my starting details and part of my log.

R.W. Knudsen “Just Black Cherry” juice wine
4 Qt. R.W. Knudsen “Just Black Cherry” juice
sugar to raise SG to 1.095
2 tsp. acid blend
1 tsp. pectic enzyme
1 tsp. yeast nutrient

1 pkt. Lalvin 71b-1122 wine yeast

29 Sep 2013
16:30 hrs.
Tested juice SG & Brix, results:
SG = 1.083 using FermCalc (Before sugar correction)
Brix = 20 using refractometer (Before sugar correction)
PH = 3.93 seems high!!
TA =
S02 = NA..juice was pasteurized
Temp = 71F
Rh = 69%
Added:
· 0.3119 lb. (4.9904 oz.) sugar.
· 2 tsp. acid blend
· 1 tsp. pectic enzyme
· 1 tsp. yeast nutrient
Wait min 12 hrs. to add yeast. Use Lavlin 71B-1122 hydrated. Do not stir juice after yeast is added to increase O2 exposure.

if you look at your must at an angle and it looks like a million little silver bubbles, you are way ahead of the game, that would be an excellent ferment.. i take very good care to get to that point...I dont want big bubbles, big caps, big anything,,...i want silver stars...just like you are describing....congrats...you just got a perfect ferment.

Yes this is perfectly normal. Montrachet seems to do this too. Whereas EC-1118 seems to foam into a cap. Just my observation from limited experience.

Mine did it as well. I really like this yeast and I think I'm going to try it on my blueberry mead I'm planning. I have some apple I need to do as wells .

did you recheck the ph after you added the acid blend?

Yeast can be fermenting even if they do not form a giant head or Kraousen (sp) like you would expect with a beer. The best way to judge fermentation progress is with a hydrometer.

Thanks for the feedback. Now I have a better visual understanding of this yeasts profile. My latest measurements are as follows:
o Brix = 10.2 using refractometer
o SG = 1.0409 using FermCalc, did not ferment dry (this would result in 7.4%ABV)
o PH = 4.38
o %TA = 0.72 (10ml sample)
o %MA = 0.6432 (10ml sample)
o %CA = 0.672 (10ml sample)
o Temp = 71F
o Rh = 56%
· Added 1/16th Tsp. K-Meta
· Added ½ Tsp. Sorbate
Not sure at this point why it did not ferment dry...since it's a one gal test with the Knudsens juice, I'll try another batch, maybe with a more agressive yeast. It's in the secondary one gal carboy now. Thanks again.

You could have added yeast nutrient and should have. Now that you added kmeta and sorbate it is too late to re-start the fermentation. They are added once the fermentation is done at least .99 (dry).
You could make another batch with more sugar and a higher OG and blend them together. Or age what you have for a few months and drink it.

It will not last as long with the 7.4% ABV as it will with at least 10% ABV. We shoot for around 12% so that they can stay in the bottle a few years.

Fruit wines should not have a higher ABV than 12% or you lose the fruit flavor. We shoot for an OG of around 1.085.

Last edited:
We always use Lavlin 71B for all of our fruit wines. In fact the only time we don't is if we make a kit and then we use the yeast that comes with the kit.

Latest posts

Back