first mead???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teaser

Reaction score
My nieghbour keeps bees and as I said I would like to try a batch of mead has given me approx 1700g of set honey . Has anyone got any recipes? All I havr is a cjj berry one.

ForumRunner_20120827_211453.png

From my understanding, "set" honey is just honey that has been filtered and put in a cool place to allow to crystallize yet its processed in a way that it ends up spreadable? Is this what you have?

In any case, honey is honey, and when warmed up and dilluted with a bit of water you should be able to get TA & SG readings and go from there.. Make sure you use adequate nutrients because honey is pretty much just a bunch of sugar as far as yeast is concerned

At the moment all I have is a general yeast and nutrient should I use a pacific yeast and nutrient?? And just have a cjj berry recipe to follow.

First you have to figure out what kind of mead you want to make, how much honey you have to make it with and that will tell you what kind of yeast to use. You should add some complete yeast nutrient, not just DAP, and keep it warm. Good luck, CC

So you have have 5 of the 12oz/340gm jars of the honey? That would be ~3.75# of "set" honey. Might want to visit a great mead website: gotmead . . . do some reading there too. Just a thought. There is also a nice assortment of mead recipes here: http://hbd.org/brewery/library/beeslees.html

Last edited:
Have ordered a champagne yeast but cannot find any other nutrient other than DAP???

I stuck with the cjj berry one tested pa today and it also smells and taste good lol had to try it. As you say now got to wait :-(

I stuck with the cjj berry one tested pa today and it also smells and taste good lol had to try it. As you say now got to wait :-(

Ya gotta watch for them wine gremlins. They get to takin the wine outta your carboy and pretty soon there isn't anything left to bottle. LOL, been there. Arne.

Would you post the recipe or a link to it here, please? Glad to hear you got it up and going. It is interesting how the taste changes as the ferment progresses. Champagne yeast is a good solid yeast. What was your starting S.G.?

I tested it and pa was 90 will post recipe when I get chance the honey I used was rapeseed and looked it up and found it said mead made from it had a buttery taste? Will see ;-)

Tested sg today its been fermenting for 12 days and Is at 1020 hope it don't get stuck!

Well the.mead is nearly clear hopefully will get a taste at Christmas and store the rest :-D

Latest posts

Back