First homemade wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerNerd54

Reaction score
Hello,

My wife and I just started our first homemade strawberry wine a couple days ago. We are very new to winemaking, only have one wine we have made before. It was a bergemaise from a kit. So I am a little worried about our wine and hoped someone could give me some advise.

1. When a recipe calls for a specific amount of sugar, do I add it all at once or over several days? The recipe I found didnt specify. Also it called for corn sugar but I used granulated sugar. I should have used a conversion calculator I suppose, right?

2. So I took an gravity reading and my O.G. was 1.140!!! That seems insanely high. I brew beer and I know wine tends to have a higher abv than most beer but that still seems bad. I even grabbed a different hydrometer to double check my reading. Yup, still 1.140!

3. Would splitting the must(I think thats what it is called) into 2 fermenters and then dilluting it with water be a good idea here? If I were to do this should I do It before fermentation completes?

4. I used champagne yeast. I imagine it will not have the ability to ferment down to an F.G. of under 1.000 but I dont really know. Maybe I should have done a yeast starter to assist it?

We really did not want to make a dessert wine. We just wanted like a normal sipping wine. Any advice would be so greatly appreciated. If all else fails we picked up 32 pounds of strawberries today just in case we need to start over hahaha. :h

Could you post the recipe that you used to make your must? without that it is somewhat difficult to say what you should do.

That being said,I will try to comment on some of your things.

1. Normally you add it all at once, unless you are trying to push up the ABV past what the yeast normally does, but that is a different story.

2. the first thing I learned with wine making is that recipes are more guides then....well recipes, especially when it comes to the sugar amounts. Always go by the hydrometer and not a recipe amount.

3. I worry that if you dilute the must you will lose the flavor. Strawberry isn't the easiest wine to get a good flavor in to begin with. what would be better is splitting and diluting with strawberry juice.

4. Champagne yeasts have a fairly high alcohol tolerance, so it might be possible, depends on the specific strain. but i think if it were to ferment to 18% then you will have burned out a lot of the flavor of the strawberry.

Hope this helps!

1. When a recipe calls for a specific amount of sugar, do I add it all at once or over several days? A.I agree with the last post, normally added all at once and you should always base the amount on the initial SG reading. Here is a good site for sugar calculations

2. So I took an gravity reading and my O.G. was 1.140!!! A. This does seem high but if you have started fermentation I would let it go and blend later with another strawberry wine. I started my last strawberry wine at 1.110 and it was very dry so you might actually like what turns out.

3. Would splitting the must(I think thats what it is called) into 2 fermenters and then dilluting it with water be a good idea here? A. No.

4. I used champagne yeast. A. What brand? Red Star is rated for 13% to 15% and Lalvin up to 18%

We really did not want to make a dessert wine. We just wanted like a normal sipping wine. Any advice would be so greatly appreciated. If all else fails we picked up 32 pounds of strawberries today just in case we need to start over hahaha. A. Try a new batch with less sugar and try a bench trial blend to see if that might improve one or both wines.

Ditto to all of the other comments. Assuming it does ferment dry, I would start another weaker wine now targeting about 10% ABV that you can blend with the strong stuff and/or drink while you wait for your first one to mellow out. Also assuming you have another fermenter and an extra carboy.

Sugar is sugar. Different sugar sources can give different tastes but I personally only use granulated sugar and have never had issues.

If you can get your hands on it, I just made a strawberry wine with Lalvin 1122 and was very pleased with the results. It left a lot more of the strawberry aroma and taste than I would have expected and made for a very pleasant wine young.

All excellent advice above. I will only add this, your hydrometer is your best friend. It is the only true way to know where you are beginning, where you are going, and where you have ended.
You need to know how much alcohol you want in the end, ie: 13%. If I want 13% and assuming my wine will go dry to approx. .995, then that tells me to add enough juice/sugar to get my hydrometer reading to approx. 1.095. Now I know I will end up with my target of 13%.
Again, the hydrometer is your best friend.

Wow you guys rock, thank you some much for the info. This is the whole reason I joined this forum. Thanks a ton. I think we will ride it out and do some calculating for the next batch. I used redstar yeast, will have to check out the LHBS and grab that lavlin for the next batch. And i will take gravity readings as I add the sugar instead of just afterwards. Cheers! Slainte! Prost!

Wow you guys rock, thank you some much for the info. This is the whole reason I joined this forum. Thanks a ton. I think we will ride it out and do some calculating for the next batch. I used redstar yeast, will have to check out the LHBS and grab that lavlin for the next batch. And i will take gravity readings as I add the sugar instead of just afterwards. Cheers! Slainte! Prost!

One pound of sugar will increase the gravity by 40 points and 40 points of sugar has a potential ABV of about 5.25 %. Not sure how much fermentable sugar is in a pound of strawberries. I would assume not much (I think data about the caloric value of fruit is available from the US Dept of Agriculture https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ )

Hi. If You are new. This handbook may help You (internet)

Making good wine that requires certain knowledge which may be found in less or more comprehensive handbook. You may also try and follow the advice provided here.

Wine may be made all year round in the summer you can make wine from cherries, currants and gooseberries, in autumn – from grapes, apples, pears, blackberries, plums, chokeberries and wild rose, in the winter, we use frozen or dried fruit, raisins, pasteurized juice, stewed fruit or honey.

Wine is always made from healthy and ripe fruit. Remember to wash it carefully. Cherries and plums must be de-stoned.

First stage involves obtain juice (must) from the fruit. Crumble the fruit into a pulp and add enzymatic preparation, pectic enzyme. The PECTO ENZYM ( fruit enzyme) is an entirely natural product which accelerates the release of the juice from fruit tissue. The juice squeezed out be means of net, NYLON BAGS or (and) small, handy FRUIT PRESS.

Once the juice (must) has been obtained, you need to prepare the mash. This is an important stage in the wine making process, which involves adding appropriate amounts of water and sugar to the juice. We live in a climatic zone where fruit (including grapes ) contain a lot of acid and therefore the must obtained from them must be diluted with water.

Juice made from currants, raspberries, quinces, gooseberries and plums require the largest amount of water. Ehen deciding on the proportions in which the juice, water and sugar are to be mixed, it is advisable to use the information provided in table. However, do not forget that the juice must not be diluted more than 1L water per 1L of juice. It is a good idea to mix very sour fruit juice with a low acidity juice (e.g. cherries + strawberries, raspberries + apples, white currant + apples). When making wine from cereals or low acidity fruit ( haw, wild rose, strawberry), the mash may be acidified slightly by means of an acidity regulator ( a mixture of fruit acids: wine, apple or lemon).

Acidity of the wine mash may be measures by means of a simple measuring device called acidimeter.

The amount of sugar to be added depends, among other things, on the intended strength of wine.

Appropriate amounts of sugar for wine with alcohol content of 12%, 14% and 16%. However , remember that sugar concentration in the mash before fermentation should not exceed 22%. ( approx. 22 Blg)

It is possible to buy a Multimeter which allows to measure sugar concentration in the mash and shows the alcohol content to be obtained from a given amount of sugar.

A similar device, a Vinometer, allows for actual calculation of alcohol content in obtained wine.

Don’t forget to add wine yeast to the mash before the fermentation begins. We offer pure yeast cultures, specially selected for wine making purposes. They ensure that fermentation begins quickly, runs correctly and the wine has the appropriate strength, taste and aroma.

It is possible to buy liquid cultures of noble wine yeast: Tokay, Burgundy, Sauternes, Bordeaux, Malaga, Madera, Portwein, Sherry , which help to obtain alcohol content of up to 14% and Universal Yeast, which guarantee alcohol content of 16% ( with gradual addition of sugar ). The yeast graft is prepared two days before making the mash. Pour 150ml of juice or add 200g of crumbled fruit to a one litre bottle, add 300ml of water, 2 spoonfuls of sugar and a pinch of culture medium. Cover the bottle with a cotton wool plug and pasteurise for 30 minutes. Once the mixture has cooled, pour the contents of a previously shaken bag of yeasts to the bottle. Leave the mixture for 48 h in temperature of 24-26 C . After this time, a sediment will appear on top, the liquid will become opaque and start releasing gas.

Pour the yeasts obtained in this manner to a balloon ( fermenter, carboy, demijohn) with freshly made mash.

Dried Wine Yeast, which guarantee fast fermentation and high quality of wine.

Dried Yeast does not require preliminary proliferation. The content of the pack is added to 100ml of water cooled down to 35 C and cheerfully mixed. After 20minutes, the suspension is pouredto a carboy or fermenter with wine mash.

You should also add a Yeast Nutrients ( culture medium) to the wine mash.

Fermentation is performed in a glass balloon ( carboy, demijohn ) or in plastic fermenter. The container is covered with a plug with attached airlock. After 6-8 weeks of fermentation in 20-24°C, drainoff the wine over the sediment, add sugar if necessary and ferment again for subsequent several weeks. After the second fermentation, pour the wine using a handy wine draining house to clean, disinfected ( using potassium meta ), dried bottles and store tightly sealed in a cool cellar, in the temperature of 8-12°C.

If the wine is opaque before being poured to bottles, filter it using Bentonite ( wine klar ) or Turbo Klar. Those substances are used to remove opaqueness caused by protein, polyphenols and tans. The filtering lasts from 1 to 7 days. The filtering process is best performed in lower temperatures, without moving the balloon, carboy or demijohn. The procedures of using the aforesaid agents been provided on packagings.

Bottles with filtered wine should be sealed by means of natural, agglomerated or synthetic Corks . Corking is easier when performed by means of two or three arms Corkers. If You wish to additionally secure your wine against oxygen and infections, we recommend Lak ( sealing wax ) and aesthetic Thermo Retractable Caps ( Shrink Caps ). We suggest that you stick decorative, adhesive labels on the bottles and write information about the main ingredients used, type of wine and its year of production.

It is also worth knowing that ready wine may be used a basis to make stronger spirits, e.g. brandies. Distillates are best made from grape, apple, pear and plum wine.

Distillation equipment and distillation yeast ( Turbo Yeast, Alcotec Yeast, Coobra Yeast, Spirit Ferm Yeast) necessary to ferment mashes. The taste and aroma of distillates or purchased spirits may be enriched by means of taste essences ( vodka aroma, vodka essence ): cherry, pear, old oak, whiskey, rum, tequila etc…

Basic wine making equipment necessary for beginner home wine makers include: glass balloon ( glass carboy, glass demijohn ) or plastic fermenter , pectic enzyme ( fruit enzyme ), juice-quizzing bag, saccharometer, carboy plug ( bored rubber bung or bored cork bung ), airlock ( bubbler ), wine yeast, nutrients and wine siphon.

Advanced wine makers may also need: fruit press, acidimeter, vinometer, wine filtering and flavouring agents, corkers, filtering equipment, oak barrels for wine storage.

Sugar amount in wine AlcoFermBrew.jpg

took a taste tonight after racking it to a secondary. Our "wine" hit an FG of 0.992. Ran that through the calculator and it appears it is approx 19.4% ABV. I took a taste of it, pretty much no strawberry flavor left, and I still can't see out of my left eye. The mouthfeel had a slight burning sensation and I immediately felt incredibly warm and slightly light headed. I think we will save this one for those sub zero Minnesota winters.

19% alcohol is tough to hide. My first go around tasted like a cheap mixed drink, but taught me about balance: sweetness, flavor, alcohol, tannin, acidity.

Latest posts

Back