First Dragons blood attempt

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kracker

Reaction score
Getting ready to start my first batch of dragon blood. should the fruit be mashed up or put in whole im not real clear? ? also anyone have the recipe breakdown for 5 gallons? im not good at that part

Getting ready to start my first batch of dragon blood. should the fruit be mashed up or put in whole im not real clear? ? also anyone have the recipe breakdown for 5 gallons? im not good at that part

Daves instructions on the 1st page of the Dragon Blood thread is quite easy to follow. It has you adding in 6 lbs or more of the frozen fruit in a nylon mesh bag. Yes they go in whole. You can start squeeing the bag starting the 2nd day before or after you add the yeast. By the time you get to an S.G. reading of 1.000 you won't believe how little is left in the bag. The only change I would make in the recipe making 5 gal. is adding just 5 gal. of water instead of 6. I would leave every thing else the same.

Will

Last edited:
I think the lack of responses per views does have to do with there being an exhaustive thread on DB.

Like Will posted, check out the DB thread. To save you the search here is the link... http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41825&highlight=Danger+Dave

BTW, it is the DB thread that opened my wine making world to making fruit/country wines and not just kit wines.

Good luck on your first DB batch!

Last edited:
Hello again. Just saw that you posted on the last page of the DB thread. You just need to check out page one, first post.

i dont have a nylon bag, can cheese cloth be used?

Yes! All the kit wines I've done that have come with grape skins supply you with a cheese cloth bag. Lay your cheese cloth into a bowl, add the fruit and tie the cloth into a bag of sorts. Wash and sanitize the cloth before using.

Nylon bags, which can be washed, rinsed and reused are readily available at any paint store or any chain store like Home Depot or Lowes. They're available in several different sizes.

Last edited:
Honestly, you are over thinking it.

You can use cheesecloth if you want.

You can use pantyhose.

You can use a pillowcase.

You can run down to Lowe's and get 5 gallon paint strainer mesh bags.

You can dump it in whole if you want. I've been known to do that if I feel lazy and forgot to pick up mesh. Know that it is 100 times bigger pita when it comes time to rack into secondary.

As far as the math...? Divide by 6 to get the amount for 1 gallon then multiply that amount by 5 to get what you need for a 5 gallon batch. I doubt anyone is going to sit down and do all the calculations for you unless they just happen to have the recipe written down and they are feeling generous.

Dragon Blood was my first attempt at wine making and if you follow Dav's instructions you won't have any trouble. Use a bag for your fruit, it makes it easier down the road. One tip is if you dissolve your sugar in warm/hot water and pour it over the fruit in the primary first, you will get a better color on the finished wine. I'm on my fifth batch now and everyone that tasted the first batch are coming back for more!

Good luck! I'm doing a 5 gallon batch (my first attempt) and only tweaked a few things in the recipe, mostly just used less water. I'm likely going to do the first rack tomorrow.

I believe DangerDave wrote the recipe to not fail.. For first timers to succeed. I believe I am going go buy the stuff for a 5 gallon, and do my first batch over 1 gallon, and I think I'm going to use the Welch's Berry blend concentrate because to should clear quicker and I can buy the stuff to make a 5 gal fermentor, with spigot at Home Dept for under like $12.. and the Berry blend is on sale at our local Wally world for like $1.15 a 12oz concentrate. Should be cheap enough, and it looks pretty fail proof.

Just started my first batch of DB on Sunday. It's going well and I already snuck a sip and I think its going to be really good. I've done kits for several years so this is a bit more of a challenge, just what I was looking for! I couldn't find the tripple berry that didn't have strawberries as one of the three, so purchased frozen Blueberries, rasberries and fresh blackberries. YUM!

Well, she leveled out at .990 and I'm at the de-gassing stage. I have whipped this batch for an hour. Well, on and off so probably 20-25 min total and the bubbles just keep coming! How much is enough? I haven't added the Kieselsol and Chitosan yet. With kits I whip for about 5 min and never had a problem so I'm thinking that maybe I'm overdoing it a bit. I am using a wand and a drill so it's getting whipped good. When should I stop and add clarifying agents?

It will be great with whatever you use.

We probably have 100 different variations of different fruits, all turn out great.

Well, she leveled out at .990 and I'm at the de-gassing stage. I have whipped this batch for an hour. Well, on and off so probably 20-25 min total and the bubbles just keep coming! How much is enough? I haven't added the Kieselsol and Chitosan yet. With kits I whip for about 5 min and never had a problem so I'm thinking that maybe I'm overdoing it a bit. I am using a wand and a drill so it's getting whipped good. When should I stop and add clarifying agents?

I usually whip on and off for several days if I am trying to bottle it quick. I've been known to sheet/splash rack as well.

Latest posts

Back