First Big Investment - Input

Discussion in 'Equipment & Sanitation' started by Ignoble Grape, Jul 11, 2019.

Wine Making Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating:

1. Jul 11, 2019 #1

Ignoble Grape

Ignoble Grape

Ignoble Grape

Hi All,

So this harvest I'm going to be making my first big equipment purchase. Exciting! Quick check for understanding with all you experts:

1. An all-in-one pump degasses - really helpful for kits, not necessarily for wine made for grapes, but doesn't filter (I may be incorrect with this one, or maybe I'm looking at the wrong piece of equipment)
    2. A filter removes all of the possible bacteria leftovers that can cause spoilage, but doesn't degas
    3. A filler fills the bottles, but doesn't degas or filter - though the Enolmatic looks like it gets rid of oxygen, but not CO2.

What am I missing? I'm thinking #2 is my priority.

Cheers!

2. Jul 11, 2019 #2

cmason1957

cmason1957

cmason1957

CRS Sufferer WMT Supporter

Filtering is overrated in my opinion. It doesn't help clear your wine, it just adds a finish polish to it. For me #1 of your list is the priority. All wines have CO2 in them that should be removed prior to bottling, it is less of a concern in wines from grapes, due to the generally longer time between start and bottling, but it is there and has to be taken care of. Also, the All-in-one-wine-pump can have a filter added to it. See: https://www.allinonewinepump.com/product/wine-filter-setup/

it costs about $30-40, if I remember correctly. For me, the degassing capabilities are sort of a side benefit, the ability to use the same piece of equipment almost any time I need to move wine around is the biggest benefit and that it is a gentle way to move wine. Oh and standing up while bottling.

Ignoble Grape likes this.
  3. Jul 11, 2019 #3

Brettanomyces

Brettanomyces

Brettanomyces

Junior

I'm new to wine, but a long time brewer of beer, but I think I can shed some light on most of this.

1. The AIO wine pump has a filtering setup. It's detailed under the "accessories" part of the website.
    2. A filter can do this, but only if you sterile filter. Coarser filters remove larger particles only. Reds, for example, are typically not sterile filtered.
    3. This is true. But, the AIO has a bottling setup that comes with it. Other pumps can do multiple things (e.g., Buon Vino).

I think you're on the right track about some of the big categories of things you might want/need to do. Specific products often do more than one of these things, and maybe that's an opportunity to save money for you. Just need to set priorities and decide on a specific product.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  4. Jul 11, 2019 #4

Johnd

Johnd

Johnd

Large Member WMT Supporter

1. The AIO definitely filters, just need to get one ordered with the whole house filter attachment, @vacuumpumpman can hook you up if you're interested.
    2. A filter with media at .45 microns or smaller will remove yeast, eliminating the need for potassium sorbate in sweetened wine. Filtering with sterile filters will not take the place of good sulfite management practices to prevent bacterial / microbial / oxidation problems.
    3. The AIO also can fill bottles with the proper attachments.

If the three things you listed are your priority from a piece of equipment, the AIO does all of the things you are looking for, at much less investment than three different pieces of equipment to accomplish the things you listed.
    Personally, I own a vacuum pump for racking and degassing, a Buon Vino Super Jet filter for filtering, and a different setup for bottling, all were acquired before knowledge of the AIO. If I could start over, I'd only own the AIO.

5. Jul 12, 2019 #5

Ignoble Grape

Ignoble Grape

Ignoble Grape

AIO Plus Attachments seems to be getting the most votes here - thank you! Thank you!

6. Jul 12, 2019 #6

dralarms

dralarms

dralarms

Overboard as usual Staff Member Super Moderator

Have to chime in for the all in one also

7. Jul 12, 2019 #7

tjgaul

tjgaul

tjgaul

Carboy Addict WMT Supporter

I was 2 years into winemaking before buying the AIO pump. Best $$ I've spent in this hobby. So many benefits - degassing - limited cleanup (two racking canes and one tube) - no need to place source carboy above target carboy - and it's pretty fast. I've never filtered with it, but I'd go with cmason (as usual) and say that if you're bulk aging for any decent period of time then filtering really is not necessary.

8. Jul 12, 2019 #8

jgmann67

jgmann67

jgmann67

Rennaisance Man

Definitely an AIO fan here. Had mine going on three years and would have a difficult time making wine without it.

You might also take a look at the bottle prep and carboy cleaning options Steve has at AIO too.

Also, if you don’t have one, invest in a Portuguese or Italian floor corker... worth every penny.

9. Jul 12, 2019 #9

Ignoble Grape

Ignoble Grape

Ignoble Grape

Thanks! Will look into them. Got the floor corker last year... Wine bottling experience was revolutionized!

tjgaul, Trevor7 and jgmann67 like this.