First batch Issues???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyleandrew

Junior
Reaction score
I finished my first batch of wine back in February of this year (Cabernet Sauvignon). I opened a bottle in early March to try it and found it had some carbonation to it. Didn't think much of it so I thought more shelf time might help. Opened another bottle yesterday and still the same Carbonated (as too sweet for a cabernet) results. I followed the directions with my wine kit (or I thought I did). The kit was a Vintners Reserve kit. Questions are:

1) What did I do wrong (I don't want to have the same mistake with my upcoming batch)?

2) Is the wine I have already bottled going to go bad soon or does it need more time?

Thanks for any help/comments in advance!

Too swet? What was the final sg before bottling? As for carbonation it sounds like you didnt do a good job of degassing! You need to get a Vacuvin set up (about $12) http://www.finevinewines.com/XPListDet1.asp?MM_PartNumber=4318 and then you can degas each bottle since you already have it bottled. From here on in you need to degas your wine much better before bottling, this will also help your wine clear faster and better as C02 keeps fine sediment in suspension which usually results in sediment in your bottles later.

First, for the wine you have now, it isn't going to go bad really (seriously it's wine, it's got to be pretty bad before I wouldn't drink it). It isn't going to "uncarbonate" though. Every bottle will be a little carbonated, and that is something you'll just have to chalk up to inexperience. Worst case scenario you'll get some bottle bombs if it is still fermenting...
If the wine is too sweet AND it's carbonated there is a very good chance you didn't let it finish fermenting. I would leave it in secondary longer next time. Then as stated above, degas better. This is done with an electric drill and a wand or paddle to get all of the carbonation out of there.
Also, in the future make sure you are using the right amount of sugar and the proper kind of yeast. Some work better than others, if it was all in a kit, it shouldn't have been a problem, but some times you run into these kinds of things.

sorry to hijack the post. but my strawberry wine is too sour, but not vinegar sour, what does that mean?

Also. If I am not wrong, degassing means to remove the carbon dioxide in the wine, what does that got to do with affecting the sweetness of the wine?

If it has carbonation in it, try decanting it for a couple hours before drinking it. If it is too sweet, it sounds like it didn't completely ferment out. Only thing I can think of is try blending it with a dry wine to try to dilute the sugar. Arne.

sorry to hijack the post. but my strawberry wine is too sour, but not vinegar sour, what does that mean?

Also. If I am not wrong, degassing means to remove the carbon dioxide in the wine, what does that got to do with affecting the sweetness of the wine?

It sounds like your wine has fermented dry. It is supposed to do that. Try drawing a sample and add some sugar to it. Now taste, did that help? if so you need to add more or less sugar to taste. Arne.

Latest posts

Back