First 20 gal of Dragons blood in a brute

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tess

Reaction score
OK Im starting this Monday. 20 gal food grade brute. 3X the recipe for Dragons Blood original recipe. First question, When I 3x do I 3x everything? when it come to stabilizing to I also 3X the sorbate ext....?
Second question, Do I need to get a boat paddle to stir :)

OK Im starting this Monday. 20 gal food grade brute. 3X the recipe for Dragons Blood original recipe. First question, When I 3x do I 3x everything? when it come to stabilizing to I also 3X the sorbate ext....?
Second question, Do I need to get a boat paddle to stir :)

yes, yes, why not....

RR

dang girl , you go big....hats off to you....Ummmm....better get that thing ordered you been wanting.
triple everything, but if you start off at 1.000 and finish at .990 there is no reason to sorbate.
let it got dry....
clear it before sorbate, and add sorbate according to what your abv is.
the higher the abv, the less you need sorbate.

dang girl , you go big....hats off to you....Ummmm....better get that thing ordered you been wanting.
triple everything, but if you start off at 1.000 and finish at .990 there is no reason to sorbate.
let it got dry....
clear it before sorbate, and add sorbate according to what your abv is.
the higher the abv, the less you need sorbate.

Im new so Im nervous not sorbating. Im gonna back sweeten anyway!!

so 3xs I need to know. James you been doing this for years! when Iv been where you are I might be comfortable... You have got to treat me like the newbie that I am

Yes. Multiply everything by 3. Triple the batch, triple the stuff. Same as baking.

Tess...remember this...if you are going to add sorbate and backsweeten.

Make sure the why is clear.....before...... adding sorbate are sugar ..

Did you mean the wine is clear?? Just making sure "the why" is not something I should know about lol

Nice, Tess! I just finished a triple batch myself. Came out with exatly 18 gallons. It's clearing nicely in the baement. I'm doing a straight raspberry version next, since the frozen raspberries were on sale. I haven't made one of those yet.

It just go's to fast around here to mess with 6 gallons at a time

yes tess the wine, is clear not the why is clear.
the clearer the wine the better sorbate works...
then you can add simple syrup, etc.
then let it clear.....
I sure hope you bought a bigger racking cane.

Tess
I just did my first batch in a Brute. !4 gallons of Apple pie. Racked into 2, 6.5 gallon Carboys exactly. My racking cane worked but I took it out of the larger tube and just siphoned. I have a small clip that I put on the handle of the brute and let the tube hang in the can until it got towards the bottom.
As others have suggested before, if you can let the brute ferment up on something it will be easier to siphon it later. Lifting 20 gallons is not easy.

Latest posts

Back