Finishing bottle with capsule

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillK

Reaction score
I have tried using the capsules to finish the wine bottle off after corkingto give it a clean look.
Thecapsules I am using shrink when heat/steam is applied to it. The product works but I always have the ugly wrinkles everywhere.

Anybody have better luck with these? Any tips would be appreciated.

Bill, start at the top with your heat gun and work your way down. A hair dryer in most cases is not hot enough. Others will be chiming in soon and tell you to use boiling water. If you do this I would recommend putting your capsules on before the label so the water dosen't run down onto your labels. If you're really a serious bottler like a lot of us then I would recommend a capsular.

I dip them head first into a small pot of boiling water. I hold the capsule on the upside down bottle till the first 1/2 inch is submerged, then dunk it slowly the rest of the way. I have never had wrinkles nor have I scalded myself. Will likely do both next time now.

Im with Dan on the Horizontal Encapsuler. I love it and its way fast and they come out great!

I use a heat gun and have had no problems with wrinkles.

BOB

I use boiling water and dip them slowly using the shrink tool listed under bottle filling catagory in Georges catalogue to hold them on with. works great.

I use boiling water. The only time I got wrinkles is when i used the large caps on the small bottles.

Yep, Like above I use boiling water and never had a wrinkle.

tepe said:
Yep, Like above I use boiling water and never had a wrinkle.

WOW if I used boiling water I would be all wrinkly and red
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif

Dont worry Dan, another year and youll be all wrinkly! Sorry, I had to go there! hehehe

Thanks for the responses. Will try the boiling water techinique and the other suggested ways. I actually got pretty good at using just a candle. I kept spinning it so it didn't get to hot in one spot.

Thanks

Tried the boiling water and that worked great. Also very fast. Think I will go with this way from now on.

The boiling water method does not work as well at higher altitudes, like in many areas of Colorado and New Mexico. That's because at higher altitudes, water boils at a lower temp, so the necessary heat is not there. Best to use a heat gun.

Latest posts

Back