Finer Wine Kit Finer Wine Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
. . . I currently use the tube-like wine bottle filler that is connected to a siphon hose and once depressed to the bottom of the wine bottle, wine flows. But, I find it rather messy and spills occur. . . .
The other option is buying the all-in-one but I am sticking to smaller batches these days and may not be worth it.
I, like you, used to use a bottle filling system that relied on a siphon hose and a spring-loaded valve to fill bottles. That was a PIA but I don't know how many 1000s of bottles I filled that way. Now, I use a transfer pump to pump wine from carboys into a bottling bucket fitted with a spigot. So much easier, lss messy. I love my transfer pump which also eliminates the need to rely on gravity for racking and eliminates the need to pick up heavy carboys filled with wine.

Glad to hear they liked it. Mine is a month behind yours and will be anxious to taste it again in a month or so. Thanks for the report.

My Tavola Petite Sirah is only 8 months old. Had it with dinner on Saturday night. Everyone who had some said they same thing… “wow!”

it was a beautiful wine, paired with a nice filet and crab cake, potato and some asparagus.

FWK question...

Just received my forte petite sirah kit and started it tonight.

From the instructions, it states: Stir the must and punch down the bags (skins) twice daily with sanitized utensils until SG reaches 1.010 and do not open bucket until day 15 when transferring to carboy.

This is written verbatim from the instructions. How does one "punch down and stir" without opening the bucket? Is the intention of the instruction to say punch down and stir until 1.010 and then STOP (stirring and punching down) and keep the lid on until day 15?

Thoughts?

When you get to 1.01 SG, the instructions say to close the top of the primary fermentation bucket and leave it closed until the 15th day. Standard primary buckets have the top with the snaps and a hole to fit an airlock. I’m going to review that verbiage and revise it to make it more clear.
@Brant Matteo from FWK answered this earlier in this thread in December.

One thing you can do is slosh it a bit after you install the airlock. That should help keep the skin bags moist and in better contact with the must.
IIRC, Matteo commented that the environment is humid enough that it's not necessary. Given that the fermenter would have to be heavily shaken to make a real effect, and not doing so apparently causes no problems, I'd just leave the fermenter alone.

Good morning.

The long and the short of it is that all light colored fruit is subject to browning issues when it’s fresh. Because our concentrates are not ultra pasteurized, it’s a reality we are going to confront on an ongoing basis. It’s the same thing as biting into an apple and leaving it on a table.

The solution to the problem is a combination of bentonite and carbon during primary fermentation. It will be added to the juice before you pitch the yeast. Though carbon is known to cause some stripping, it only does so when used after fermentation. Any loss is inconsequential at this stage because only about 15% of the terpine compounds that constitute aroma and flavor remain after primary fermentation anyway. Most of it gasses out. We blind tasted the samples next to a control. There was no difference in taste, the color was perfect and the wine crystal clear. Carbon is widely used in the commercial wine industry for this exact problem.

just an FYI, this is not a problem with reds because the wine is not translucent and the red pigments dominate.

Matteo

That is interesting. Can you share with us what was the resolution or the remedy and the cause of the color issue?

Started my first Forte Merlot yesterday. Put a brew belt on the fermenter, this morning just @70degrees. My yeast starter hasn’t started as of the morning, it’s been about 12 hours. If I don’t see any activity can I just add it to the must tonight? The basement is cool around 55-60 degrees.

Good morning.

The long and the short of it is that all light colored fruit is subject to browning issues when it’s fresh. Because our concentrates are not ultra pasteurized, it’s a reality we are going to confront on an ongoing basis. It’s the same thing as biting into an apple and leaving it on a table.

The solution to the problem is a combination of bentonite and carbon during primary fermentation. It will be added to the juice before you pitch the yeast. Though carbon is known to cause some stripping, it only does so when used after fermentation. Any loss is inconsequential at this stage because only about 15% of the terpine compounds that constitute aroma and flavor remain after primary fermentation anyway. Most of it gasses out. We blind tasted the samples next to a control. There was no difference in taste, the color was perfect and the wine crystal clear. Carbon is widely used in the commercial wine industry for this exact problem.

just an FYI, this is not a problem with reds because the wine is not translucent and the red pigments dominate.

Matteo
Thank you, Matteo. I am not a chemist, but I think what you are saying is that it was the result of some level of oxidation. That is what happens to apples, potatoes, etc. and the solution when cutting them up is to soak the cut fruits or vegetables in acidulated water to avoid the browning. The "browning" is the result of the reaction with oxygen and is not only cosmetic but does change the taste of the fruits and vegetables.

Which brings me to my second point and that is, what, if anything, can be done with wine that is already made, is dark and lacks acidity? That is where I am at present. The Sauvignon Blanc that I made is very clear but extremely dark in color and it is very flabby, lacking any tartness which I feel is characteristic of an SB. Any insight that you can provide on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Thank you, Matteo. I am not a chemist, but I think what you are saying is that it was the result of some level of oxidation. That is what happens to apples, potatoes, etc. and the solution when cutting them up is to soak the cut fruits or vegetables in acidulated water to avoid the browning. The "browning" is the result of the reaction with oxygen and is not only cosmetic but does change the taste of the fruits and vegetables.

Which brings me to my second point and that is, what, if anything, can be done with wine that is already made, is dark and lacks acidity? That is where I am at present. The Sauvignon Blanc that I made is very clear but extremely dark in color and it is very flabby, lacking any tartness which I feel is characteristic of an SB. Any insight that you can provide on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
This process also works with wine that’s finished. Private message me

Latest posts

Back