Finer Wine Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

Jim Welch

Supporting Members
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Just put together FW Petite Syrah and my must temp is in the low 70’s. Can I pitch yeast starter I mixed up before 18-24 hours they suggest as long as I see some foaming or is there something in the starter blend that needs that time to work first? Thanks.
I like to pitch a starter when it is at high krausen, i,e, standing foam. Sometimes that happens as I sleep so in that case it gets pitched just after high krausen. So if it were me I'd wait a bit, is the starter the same temperature or close to the must temp? I also like to have my starter next to the fermenting vessel so they are close in temp.

Jim Welch

Supporting Members
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
I don't have the instructions with me but IIRC the pack they have you put in the must has Meta K in it and the wait time allows that to dissipate a bit

Jovimaple

Kaptin Winemaker
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Got my Barbera today, too. I will be out of town for a long weekend so I put the grape pack in the fridge for now. I am excited to start it when I get home again!

I didn't order any skins but mine did come with oak chips. Maybe they all do?

Jim Welch

Supporting Members
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Got my Barbera today, too. I will be out of town for a long weekend so I put the grape pack in the fridge for now. I am excited to start it when I get home again!

I didn't order any skins but mine did come with oak chips. Maybe they all do?
Yes they all come with the chips to be put in primary fermentation, one gets oak cubes only if two grape skin packs are ordered with the kit.

joeswine

joeswine
Reaction score
Gave my Riesling a taste with dinner and it is what it's suppose to be a very decent Riesling, smooth up front , fruit in the middle and crispness on the finish do to the touch of zest added in the primary 😀, up just knew I had to.