Finer Wine Kit Finer Wine Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just put together FW Petite Syrah and my must temp is in the low 70’s. Can I pitch yeast starter I mixed up before 18-24 hours they suggest as long as I see some foaming or is there something in the starter blend that needs that time to work first? Thanks.
I like to pitch a starter when it is at high krausen, i,e, standing foam. Sometimes that happens as I sleep so in that case it gets pitched just after high krausen. So if it were me I'd wait a bit, is the starter the same temperature or close to the must temp? I also like to have my starter next to the fermenting vessel so they are close in temp.

Got my Barbera today, too. I will be out of town for a long weekend so I put the grape pack in the fridge for now. I am excited to start it when I get home again!

I didn't order any skins but mine did come with oak chips. Maybe they all do?

Got my Barbera today, too. I will be out of town for a long weekend so I put the grape pack in the fridge for now. I am excited to start it when I get home again!

I didn't order any skins but mine did come with oak chips. Maybe they all do?

Yes they all come with the chips to be put in primary fermentation, one gets oak cubes only if two grape skin packs are ordered with the kit.

Gave my Riesling a taste with dinner and it is what it's suppose to be a very decent Riesling, smooth up front , fruit in the middle and crispness on the finish do to the touch of zest added in the primary 😀, you just knew I had to.

Last edited:
LOL! I am! They are reading WMT for reviews, I would too. I received my Bordeaux style kit, I'll start it tomorrow (double skins).
I wanted to try a white (probably Chardonnay), but it seems that the whites sell out fast. BTW if no one else said so, the yeast I received was RC-212 for both reds, not just EC-1118 like most do, so quality yeast too. Maybe they actually thought about how the included yeast strain would affect the final outcome.

Last edited:
LOL! I am! They are reading WMT for reviews, I would too. I received my Bordeaux style kit, I'll start it tomorrow (double skins).
I wanted to try a white (probably Chardonnay), but it seems that the whites sell out fast. BTW if no one else said so, the yeast I received was RC-212 for both reds, not just EC-1118 like most do, so quality yeast too. Maybe they actually thought about how the included yeast strain would affect the final outcome.
My double batch of Bordeaux is coming off the skins tomorrow (4 weeks). I ordered them with single skins and added a cup of currants per kit. Also ordered two FW Cab kits yesterday to try to beat the price hike. My plan is to do them pretty much per directions with my now standard tweaks of EM and leave out the clearing agents. I want to try some blending later as I have the FW Sangiovese and some Merlot bulk aging now.

Their website lists 3 prices for each these kits. "MSRP", "Retail", and "Now" where the "Now" price is what all of us are paying for the base kits now. Presumably the new price will be the "MSRP" price or the "Retail" price, which are the same price.
If I am correct in my presumptions, we're looking at price increases in the order of approximately 40%!!!

I hope not, I wanted to start a solid business relationship with them, but we'll see.

Remember to email them to get on the 10% discount for life program if you buy a kit before August 1st. I got an email saying my email address was added to that list so I will always get 10% off whatever the current price is for Finer Wine kits.

Last edited:
My double batch of Bordeaux is coming off the skins tomorrow (4 weeks). I ordered them with single skins and added a cup of currants per kit. Also ordered two FW Cab kits yesterday to try to beat the price hike. My plan is to do them pretty much per directions with my now standard tweaks of EM and leave out the clearing agents. I want to try some blending later as I have the FW Sangiovese and some Merlot bulk aging now.
My Bordeaux is ready today too! I did a four week EM as well but used a double skin pack. Most of the skins are settled but there’s probably still an inch and a half of them floating on top. Perfect day for it… raining outside here. Just ordered a Barbera…

Remember to email them to get on the 10% discount for life program if you buy a kit before August 1st. I got an email saying my email address was added to that list so I will always get 10% off whatever the current price is for Finer Wine kits.
Thanks for the reminder, I ordered way back in April (the 2nd run which shipped out in May), so I just emailed to ask/confirm that I'll be eligible for 10% off on future orders (once the price increases).

As far as price increases go, hard to see them charging the "full MSRP" as that price jump would be too much, and most everything on label peelers sells for less than MSRP. Guessing more like a 20% jump (rather than 40%), and hopefully those of us who bought before July 31st get to discount that by 10%, so only a 10% bump... Just guessing. Of course this is an unusual and new product especially as label peelers is the only retailer who sells it. Will be very interesting to see if eventually anyone else ever winds up selling Finer Wines kits (could save me a good bit of shipping cost and time if someone on the west coast shipped these kits).

I'm going to bet that they settled on what their market pricing would be before they jumped in to this endeavor. And, looking at the rest of the marketplace, I'll also willing to bet I'm going to be able to buy a FW kit with double skins for about $120 (+/- $10) plus shipping.

I got a quick reply from Matt at Label Peelers to my request (which I just sent to [email protected], with my older purchase confirmation email), which is great. Not 100% clear if you need to write to them to insure participation but it sure cannot hurt if you plan to buy more Finer Wine kits, and have not already been added. Thanks @Jovimaple and anyone else who mentioned this discount on the thread!

"As requested, I have added your account to the Finer Wine Kit Early Adopter Group. As long as you login to your account, you will always save 10% off compared to those that are not in the Early Adopter Group."

I reread the email the other day and saw they used the conjunction “and” to join the phrases about buying a kit and requesting to be included so i sent an email to be included. Sooner or later I believe everyone who wants to be on the list to get this discount will most likely have to email them anyway.
Strike while the iron’s hot

Thanks for the heads up, emailed Matt and got added to the discount club. I had just started a Cab & a Bordeaux, but decided to beat the price increase and ordered a Barbera & a Pinot Noir. I'll park them in the fridge until the fermenters are freed up.

Latest posts

Back