WineXpert filtering

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You dont filter when racking brubake. At first racking I'm not too concerned with getting a little sediment as you still have active fermentation going on. After fermentation has finished is when im more cautiuous about sediment during racking. My first step is at least a day before I know I am going to be racking I put the carboy up to where I will be racking from. During racking, depending on the depth of the sediment in the carboy I am racking from I will hold the auto siphon off the bottom and as the wine is siphoned I will place something under the carboy, usually a small plate to get the wine to one side and then slowly lower the siphon just to the top of the sediment
Masta has a great tutorial on this at
http://www.finevinewines.com//Wiz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2650Edited by: Waldo

You filter when your wine is ready for bottling. Actually, the term Must is sort of incorrect for kit winemaking as well. Must is actually the term for the juice and grape skins during the maceration process in wine making. Since we use processed juice it is just juice. I guess on a Crushendo it could be considered a must sort ofor on a country wine. It is still an acceptable term though. After itis fermentingit is considered wine.
smiley36.gif

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

I have also been kicking around the idea of filtering. I had rather spend my money on carboys and wine kits so what is the best, for the money, filter you can get. Keeping in mine that easy use counts a lot. Will spend and extra few bucks to make it easy.

Scuba: Get he gravity filter from George. Relativly cheap and works good when needed. I filter about 1/3 of my wines, the rest I drink!
smiley36.gif

Latest posts

Back