Filter and Pump

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philery

Junior
Reaction score
Being a newbie, I was interested in some input into which filter and pump to buy.
I have read that the Buon Vino Mini Jet filter is the industry standard however I was unable to find to what degree it filters. Even the home water filter systems do not say what degree they filter.
Does it make a difference or is it really worth the money for the mini-jet?
And....what pump would you recommend for wine making?
Thanks for the input!Philery

I like the vacuum pumps used in the medical field for respiratory use. I degas, filter, and rack with it and with the addition of an extra I also bottle with it. For most wine makers the jet pumps are fine and come close to sterile filtering. With an Enolmatic or vacuum pump you can sterile filter but those filters are very expensive!!!!

I have a minijet. It works pretty good for up to 4 5 gallon carboys. after that you need to change filters at least with the number 2 filter which is what I mostly use. I think that is a 1 micron filter. the #3 filter is a sterilization filter and is .5 micron It is not real fast. it will take a hour plus to filter 4 carboys. I'm happy with it but will upgrade some day.

Its not a true sterilization filter Im pretty sure. I could be wrong on that but its what Ive been told.

Wade is correct. This is not an absolute filter. With that said it is a great filter and I've easily filtered five carboys with no issue or break in between. The wines were crystal clear and sediment free when I started.

Latest posts

Back