filling bottles

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

physics911

Reaction score
What's the best way to fill a 750ml bottle?
I've done two kits so far.
I have an auto-siphon but only have the little white plastic thumb clip which slides on the tube, which is OK, but does cause some drips.

I would assume there is a thumb press valve out there somewhere you can bayonet into the end of the auto-siphon tub and cut way back on the drips.

What about a beer gun? I am probably going to start a few batches of beer soon anyway, but if there is a less expensive alternative, I would be interested to know.

Suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you,
Chris

I think it depends on the volume you are going to do. If you are doing a 5 gallon carboy, then a $5 gravity fed bottle filler is fine. If you are doing a hundred bottles, perhaps a vacuum system like the all-in-one.

How about an automatic filling system like this? :b

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utVAs4FInPw"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utVAs4FInPw[/ame]

I think it depends on the volume you are going to do. If you are doing a 5 gallon carboy, then a $5 gravity fed bottle filler is fine.

If you ever use a spring bottle filler you will curse the day you got that gravity filler:slp and a spring bottle filler is about $3

I use the one, with spring, to which Julie gave a link. There is a trick/technique to starting your siphon with this model. I put it down into a secured from falling over bottle with a piece of folded cardboard, index card or even paper towel so that the spring is compressed and you can start your siphon. I still use the thumb clip to make sure the flow is stopped and don't depend solely on the spring tip and its gasket. Mater of fact I try always to have that clip on my siphon hose when transferring wine, it has come in handy a number of times both for planned and unplanned (;)) circumstances.

I use the thumb clip first to get the syphon going and under control and then add on the spring bottle filler to the end of the syphon hose.

Only hassle with spring filler is that on some punted bottles, the spring will get stuck open, and then I am happy to have the thumb clip on to stop the flow.

I use the spring filler, but I fill from a "bottling bucket," which has a spigot near the bottom. No problem starting it that way (and no danger of sucking up sediment, either).

Like GAdawg, I switched from the filler that uses gravity to close off the valve. Mostly because the spring version is easier to get open in punted bottles.

I use the spring filler, but I fill from a "bottling bucket," which has a spigot near the bottom. No problem starting it that way (and no danger of sucking up sediment, either).
I was just thinking about using one of my bottling buckets for that....

I have close to 400 bottles that I plan on bottling this season at one time. I plan to have 4-6 helpers to get a little production line going. I incorporated a vacuum that I already had with some inexpensive electronics and an air valve to build this semi automated bottle filler. Probably overkill, but we will see how it works out.

http://youtu.be/mJcjjAGfulI

Having bottled many hundreds of beers and now a few wines, I recently invested in an All-In-One, and I am kicking myself for not having done this years ago. That and the floor corker are BY FAR the best investments I have made since starting wines. And btw, I'm not trying to sell anything and have no connection to the seller of these beauties. I made it the centerpiece of my wine racking/bottling station in my home bar.

IMG_1003.jpg

Here is a YouTube video of the Allinonewinepump - I also designed it for filling beer bottles and I a have made a special filler for use with your pressurized kegs and fill your bottles up to the exact liquid height every time using the Allinonewinepump.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWH2lK8XPW0&safe=active[/ame]

There is also a review of my product on this site as well -
http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f3/review-allinonewinepump-15976/

Here is a YouTube video of the Allinonewinepump - I also designed it for filling beer bottles and I a have made a special filler for use with your pressurized kegs and fill your bottles up to the exact liquid height every time using the Allinonewinepump.

Steve, how does the flow of wine stop when you've reached full? Why must the carboy be below when filling bottles? Can the wine bottles be filled from a bucket containing the wine or must a carboy be used?

Thanks...

Steve has a vacuum release when the bottle is full. I use a inline value which accomplished the same thing.

Carboy must be below or when the flow is stopped at the bottle by cutting vacuum pressure, gravity would continue to allow wine to flow.

It can be use with a bucket as no vacuum seal on that side of the bottle, just the tube and racking cane. I dont have one of steves pumps but the principals are the same. The other video also shows the carboy below the bottle.

cheers

Steve has a vacuum release when the bottle is full. I use a inline value which accomplished the same thing.

Carboy must be below or when the flow is stopped at the bottle by cutting vacuum pressure, gravity would continue to allow wine to flow.

It can be use with a bucket as no vacuum seal on that side of the bottle, just the tube and racking cane. I dont have one of steves pumps but the principals are the same. The other video also shows the carboy below the bottle.

cheers

Exactly as what Putterrr says!

A vacuum filling system does not "stop" the flow when the bottle is full. Instead it "redirect" the flow into an overflow container.

Both my FDR system and the Enolmatic bottle filler use the same principles.

My FDR system can use a wine bottle, a 3 litre jar or a carboy as the overflow container so its more flexible.

And Putterrr, what kind of inline valve do you use? I am very interested to know. Do you have a picture that you can share with us?

Cheers,

Last edited:
Steve, how does the flow of wine stop when you've reached full? Why must the carboy be below when filling bottles? Can the wine bottles be filled from a bucket containing the wine or must a carboy be used?

Thanks...

Bill -
Please watch the video that is on my website - it will show you the same thing that others have mentioned.

Most people after filling 30 bottles will only have a couple of tablespoons in the overflow bottle.

Latest posts

Back