Filling bottles using counter pressure filler

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hugh_Jass

Junior
Reaction score
Greetings,
I've a counter pressure bottler that uses CO2 to push beer from kegs into bottles. Am I able to use this to bottle my wine when it finishes? I'm was going to rack to a corny and fill the bottles with the gun. After nosing around the site, I'm thinking it may be a bad idea because of the risk of the CO2 remaining in solution after bottling. Correct?

sorry, just a noob here who occasionally needs his hand held. :D

: cheers :

Yeah sounds like a bad idea to me. Plus you'll probably be shooting corks across the room!

Greetings,
I've a counter pressure bottler that uses CO2 to push beer from kegs into bottles. Am I able to use this to bottle my wine when it finishes? I'm was going to rack to a corny and fill the bottles with the gun. After nosing around the site, I'm thinking it may be a bad idea because of the risk of the CO2 remaining in solution after bottling. Correct?

sorry, just a noob here who occasionally needs his hand held. :D

: cheers :

We all need some hand-holding from time to time.
I don't know anything about that particular piece of equipment, but if it introduces CO2 into the bottle, I would not use it. Degassing CO2 is one of the difficulties kit-wine makers face, so you don't want to add any additional.

:u
<edit: I can't post a link. If you google "blichmann beer gun" You'll see the bottle filler I'm referencing> damn spammers

This link says it's ok for wine makers. I think they may mean sparkling wines. I'm going to have to kick them an e-mail.

Thanks all for the replies. :b

Here's the message sent to Blichmann:

"Greetings. I'm a satisfied owner of a beer gun. I've begun to make wine, too. It says the beer gun can be used to fill wine. I'm concerned with reintroducing CO2 into the wine during the bottling process. Do you have any positive results bottling still wine with the beer gun? Thanks in advance. John"

I'll post any reply.

Very funn user name! Ivee been thinking of getting one of these fillers myself but just havent had the extra cash to spend so so far the very few times Ive filled a few beer bottles I used the make shift one with a cobra tap and a rubber bung with relief valve which works ok. I do think it would push some C02 into the wine and that wouldnt be very good. Give it a try and a very small batch if you do try it and have a Vacuvin Wine saver to degas each bottle if it does slightly carbonet those bottles.

You could always rig it with nitrogen instead of CO2 ...

You could always rig it with nitrogen instead of CO2 ...

Hmmmm.......I have a nitro tap at home. The bottle is filled w/75%nitro and 25% CO2. I wonder if that's good enough.

The way this filler works is you fill to the rim of the bottle. When you remove the bottling wand, the bottle is at the correct fill level. Also, when you remove the bottling wand, ambient air is pulled back into the bottle. The reason the wand has a CO2 dispenser is to remove the ambient air after the bottle has been filled.

Still waiting to hear back from Blichmann.......

Hmmmm.......I have a nitro tap at home. The bottle is filled w/75%nitro and 25% CO2. I wonder if that's good enough.

The way this filler works is you fill to the rim of the bottle. When you remove the bottling wand, the bottle is at the correct fill level. Also, when you remove the bottling wand, ambient air is pulled back into the bottle. The reason the wand has a CO2 dispenser is to remove the ambient air after the bottle has been filled.

Still waiting to hear back from Blichmann.......

If *I* was doing this, I would get 100% nitrogen. Especially if the wand dispenses gas to fill head space.

Latest posts

Back